The Ultimate SUP Class
The Ultimate SUP Class will prepare you for paddling confidently on your own on Puget Sound and beyond. Start as a beginner or intermediate level and progress your skills in three private 3-hour flat water classes on Seattle’s Shilshole Bay graduating to an epic half day in the super fun tidal rapids of beautiful Deception Pass with one of our monthly group classes.
After paddling in the Pass, you’ll fee more confident and stoked to explore more Puget Sound and beyond on your own! Paddling in the Pass will prepare you for the tidal currents common in the San Juan Islands and beyond. It’s also great cross training for surfing and downwinding.
We’ll enter Deception Pass at ‘slack’ which is a period of minimal or no current. If conditions are right, you’ll learn to surf easy standing waves! As the current builds your skills will as well. We’ll finish the session visiting a sea cave and exploring pocket beaches and the incredible shorelines of the Pass. You’ll see seals, bald eagles, kelp beds and views of the Olympic Peninsula and Lopez Island.
Core Skills You’ll Gain..
- Stand up with confidence in any conditions on a stable board for your height and weight.
- You’ll learn easy turns as well as how to go sideways and backwards
- Find out how to get a powerful yet simple forward stroke requiring minimal effort
- I’ll teach you how to paddle straight to save energy and go faster
- Learn how to comfortably walk on your board which is the foundation for surfing
- Get bomber stability skills to stay standing in rough water and boat wakes
- Learn how to do the pivot/buoy turn so you can do 90 and 180 degree turns!
- Falling is normal. Learning how to fall and get back on could save your life
- You’ll learn how to install a fin and leash so you can set up your own board
- Learn to read water so you get there easier with less effort
- SUP isn’t all about standing. Learn to sit, kneel and paddle prone (on chest)
- Find out how to use efficient strokes using finesse to prevent shoulder injuries
- Learn how to paddle over boat wakes and in wind so you have more fun
- We’ll discuss paddling equipment and clothing options for all seasons
- Learn the flip rescue to help another paddler get back on their board
- Learn intermediate turns like the cross bow, bow draw and more!
Deception Pass Core Skills
- Learn which gear is best for paddling in current, tidal rapids and for Puget Sound exploring
- Find out how to use eddies to take breaks or ‘eddy hop’ up current
- Learn how to ‘peel out’ downstream into current then ‘peel in’ to the eddy
- Learn how to ‘ferry’ across swift current without sliding downstream
- Surf standing waves in the Pass if available!
- Find out how to read tidal and current tables for planning trips on Puget Sound
- Learn how to paddle Deception Pass and similar other NW tidal rapids on your own
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- You’ll receive access to our 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned in class and more techniques! Get trip check-lists and planning tips. (Value $199)
- Get free access to my SUP Rescues and Water Safety online course. Learn the Flip Rescue, tips for getting on your board and more. (Value: $197)
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Or get Rob’s books: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Covid-19 Notice: Paddling is a naturally distanced activity and great for much exercise and fresh air. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, recommended mask use on shore for non-vaccinated students. All gear is always cleaned. All SBP instructors are vaccinated.
Requirements: Must speak and understand English and know how to swim. We recommend Orca Swim School for adult swimming instruction.
Skill Level – Beginner: No or limited experience. Advanced beginners or intermediate paddlers will learn new skills and get to your next level.
Duration: First three 3-hour classes are private on Seattle’s Shilshole Bay. You’ll complete your experience by joining one of our monthly group classes in Deception Pass.
Rentals Available: We have all the gear your need for an extra rental fee. Or use your own!
Private Group Class 3 – 5 students – 886 per person
2 Person Private Class: 2,192 (for both)
1-1 (Individual Rate): 1,576 – Get personalized training from a patient expert coach with a strong focus on safety.
+ RENTAL GEAR AVAILABLE:
- $15 each per day – Stable board, paddle, leash, vest PFD.
- $15 each per day toasty wetsuit, gloves, booties and helmet (for DP). Optional deck bag.
OK to bring your own paddling gear. We recommend using your own gear to learn how to use it better!
“I’ve had many SUP, surfing (and beyond) lessons world-wide but I haven’t found an expert in the area that compares to Rob’s level of quality experience, competency and teaching skills. Rob emphasizes safety first and caters to each individuals personal learning style in delivering quality instruction to paddlers of all levels. He truly went above and beyond and has set the bar extremely high for a business model that I hope to mirror. I will definitely return to him for further training.”
“Amazing learning experience. The knowledge of the instructors is deep and wide. From basic strokes to tides currents, wind and how to read water, the experience is very fulfilling and a great starter to this sport. I did the ultimate class and I’ll take more lessons.”
“Just like the other reviewers, I can’t say enough positive things about my experience with Rob of Salmon Bay Paddlers. With COVID preventing my other sport, I’ve been paddleboarding a lot lately on Lake Sammamish. I’ve only done recreational paddle boarding on holidays before so I wanted to check out formal training so that I could improve my skills and feel safe going out on the Sound or other larger, busier bodies of water that I’m far less familiar with.
Rob is a wealth of information, I’m a rower so I have some water skills but not others and he was perfect at covering what I needed and skipping past what I already knew. He answered a variety of my questions about everything from currents to wetsuits to boards to racing.
I walked away feeling he’s not only the expert but he really loves both paddle boarding itself as well as helping others enjoy paddle boarding. I can’t wait to sign up for more training from him..”
“Excellent experience! Rob is not only extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of SUP, but also many other factors that will enhance your experience. Among these, safety on the water, PNW places to explore, history and culture of the sport, a laundry list of tips on how to enjoy the SUP lifestyle year round and a solid under standing of the natural elements (tides, swells, wind patterns, geological and hydrological features, etc…).
He truly has a passion for the sport and demonstrates patience and expertise in his teaching. I recently took a SUP surfing class with him and in just 3 hours picked up a TON of things I can practice both in the surf and open water. I also had a lot of fun in during the lesson. Time spent with him will result in greater proficiency, more fun and a safe time on the water. Can’t recommend highly enough!”