Surf Ski Downwinding Class
Learn how to safely do a downwinder on your surf ski on Puget Sound in Seattle. Find out how to catch bumps and get the most out of each ride. Also learn about wind forecasts, reading the water and staying off the news with essential safety skills including remounting in rough water.
Downwinding can be dangerous if you don’t have the right skills to make it to your destination or lack the physical shape required to paddle in up to gale force conditions. You’ll put yourself and others in jeopardy unless you’re ready for this experience. This class is a prerequisite for downwinding in world class locations like Maliko and Hood River.
- Completion of our Surf Ski Training Class, (Unless we’ve worked with you before and can verify your skills)
- Intermediate or Advanced surf ski paddler: comfortable wind and boat wakes, regular paddler, in good physical shape, able to paddle 5 miles non-stop.
- Must be able to remount on both sides
- Basic swim skills
- Your own surf ski with leash
- Leash, paddle, vest PFD, booties, gloves, full 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit or drysuit (free rentals with classes) OR our Free rentals of paddling clothing.
- Hi-visibility clothing
- Paddling helmet for advanced classes in big conditions (25 knots +)
Included with Class:
- Summary of skills learned
- 15% Alumni discount on future classes
- Addition to our Facebook Alumni Group
- Salmon Bay Paddle decal
- Location: Shilshole Bay, Seattle
- Duration: 3 hours
- Class Size: 1 – 2 students
- Availability: Year Round
- Covid: Instructors are fully vaccinated
Group Classes (3 Students): 225 per person
2 Private Person Rate: 279 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 429
+ RENTAL GEAR IS FREE
- We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable
- OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
- Rates are non-negotiable / Gratuities are always welcome.