Surf Ski Downwinding Class
Covid-19 Update: SBP is open to individual and small groups to 4 people. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, required mask use on shore if not vaccinated. All gear is always cleaned. Instructor is vaccinated.
Surf Ski Downwinding Class..
Learn downwinding on Shilshole Bay in Seattle. You’ll learn where to downwind in the Pacific Northwest. wind forecasts, catching waves with less effort, safety, reading water and how to stay off the evening news by making smart decisions.
Seattle area downwinding is very good all year with a lot of runs for different wind directions.
This class is a prerequisite for downwinding in world class locations like Maliko and Hood River. Learn the basics here to be more comfortable elsewhere.
How it Works
Downwinding can be dangerous if you don’t have right skills to make make your destination, can’t stay up in bumps or lack the physical shape required to paddle in gale force conditions. You’ll put yourself and others in jeopardy unless you’re ready for this experience.
That said, unless I’ve worked with you before, I require a 1 hour flat water Prep Downwind session to assure you’ll have the skills in high winds.
Contact me to book this session
Skill Level and Requirements: Should be an Intermediate or Advanced surf skier. Comfortable wind and boat wakes, you paddle regularly, can swim and in very good physical shape. You should be able to paddle 5 miles non-stop in any conditions. Take my Surf Ski Training Class to build or refresh your skills.
Required Equipment (if bringing your own) – Vest PFD, hi-vis colors, booties, gloves, full wetsuit (4/3mm or 5/4mm) or drysuit, leash, paddle, stable ski in bumps so you won’t be doing a lot of swimmin); tethered communication device such as a VHF or phone. Helmet for 27+ knot days where boards can go airborne. Rentals Available for all paddling clothing.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
(Classes can be customized to your needs)
- Wind forecasting tools and techniques so you get more downwind days
- Get stability skills in dynamic water
- How to read water so you know which bumps to surf
- How to connect waves for longer rides
- Stroke analysis for your forward stroke so you get more glides
- Rescues & Safety – Learn how to rescue yourself and others in high wind
- Downwind Gear – visibility, clothing and communication.
- How to choose where to go, planning put-ins and take-out, shuttles and backup plans
- Get solid skills for rough water and high wind so you can have more fun
- Going to Maui to downwind Maliko? I can help provide basic starter info for this run.
- Downwinding common sense keeps you off the news.
Schedule: Private classes only.
Classes kept small for safety in high winds.
Downwind Session (3hrs): When the wind blows. Wind isn’t consistent in Seattle so we have to set a date that works for you with an upcoming windy forecast. Contact me for your available dates.
Location: Will be held on Puget Sound in Seattle unless otherwise requested.
Private Group Classes (3-4 Students): 189 per person
2 Person Rate: 239 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 399
We recommend wetsuits or dry suits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable.
OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
Rates are non-negotiable / Gratuities are always welcome.
Contact me to book a class.
+ Add Rental Gear:
- Stable surf ski (Carbonology Cruze), paddle, leash, PFD (life vest) – ($30 per person)
- Full 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties, hood, gloves – ($15 per person)
After Class Review: Receive a summary of strokes covered and tips of skills to work on. Optional video or stills of your experience. Help with purchasing gear.