SUP SURF CAMP
Learning to surf your paddle board is an amazing experience and will build your overall SUP skills to the next level. In this surf camp you’ll learn which gear to use, how to forecast surf and marine weather, choose the right beach for your skill level as well as paddle out and catch waves like a pro.
We’ll meet at Hobuck Beach on the NW Coast or near Port Angeles on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Camp or stay in cabins. You’ll love the expansive sandy beach with epic views of the Point of Arches in Olympic National Park and cliffs leading to Cape Flattery. When not surfing, go mountain biking, beach combing or hike to Shi Shi Beach in Olympic National Park.
Friday starts with learning about surf forecasting so you will learn where to go and when to be there for best results. We’ll go for a flat water paddle to build essential skills to prepare you for the surf zone.
Saturday & Sunday – Daily instruction includes individualized instruction of how to paddle out, catch waves, turn, fall and recover safely. We’ll take a 1 hour lunch then surf the rest of the afternoon. You’re welcome to take breaks and go at your own pace. You’ll also learn about best gear and clothing for surfing.
- Which gear to use so you’ll have more fun and know what to purchase
- Reading weather and surf forecasts to help you find local surf more often
- How to pick the best beaches and waves for your skill level to be safe and have more fun
- Paddling out in surf whether you’re sitting, kneeling or standing
- Where to find the ‘line-up’ and how to catch the best waves for more rides
- Timing of when to accelerate or wait for a better wave
- Footwork to adjust trim so you’ll catch more waves and be in more control
- Directional control using a variety of options from rudders to carving
- Ending your ride and turning around without falling off.
- Wiping out safely and how to climb back on quickly
- Surfer’s Etiquette so you learn to respect other surfers and make smart decisions
“I’ve had many SUP, surfing (and beyond) lessons world-wide but I haven’t found an expert in the area that compares to Rob’s level of quality experience, competency and teaching skills. Rob emphasizes safety first and caters to each individuals personal learning style in delivering quality instruction to paddlers of all levels. He truly went above and beyond and has set the bar extremely high for a business model that I hope to mirror. I will definitely return to him for further training.”
“Rob is an expert in SUP and offers even more relevant training and helpful information because of his background in kayaking. His skill, knowledge and expertise exceeded my expectations. He presented the information and training in a very clear and concise manner; adding many various tips throughout his instruction. Rob is encouraging, patient and practical – all very important traits when teaching a subject. The course more than met my needs – I learned a lot and as a beginner – I have a lot to learn. I will continue to turn to him as my ‘go to’ resource in all matters SUP. I’m extremely glad I chose Salmon Bay Paddle and Rob for my first professional training in SUP. I felt safe and confident with him the whole time.”