SUP Overnight Skills Trip
Covid-19 – Available for 1-4 people. We follow current Covid guidance. All gear is cleaned. Instructors are vaccinated.
SUP Overnight Skills Trip
Our SUP Overnight Skills Trip will introduce you to paddle camping on Puget Sound.
From trip preparation and marine navigation to open water crossings and SUP camping, you’ll find out how to explore the Salish Sea on your own!
We’ll choose our destination depending on marine weather and tides and currents and/or personal interest. Options include beautiful Blake Island near Seattle and Skagit or Hope Islands (North) near Deception Pass. Each have dynamic water for skills training, rich marine life, interesting natural and native history and epic views.
After the trip we’ll send you a summary of skills learned for paddling trips including skills learned on your trip plus additional resources to help with future trips.
The trip is rated Advanced Beginner to Intermediate skill level due to open water crossings and possible wind, currents and boat wakes.
This is a Self Catered (you cook your own food) trip with a max capacity 4 people.
Core Skills You’ll Learn:
- Learn about SUP equipment and clothing for camping and expeditions
- How to outfit your SUP for to store gear
- How and what to pack for overnight trips
- Marine Navigation to plan your trip and stay on course
- Learn how to avoid boating and shipping traffic and how to use those your advantage
- Find out how to use tidal current to assist you for a free ride and how to avoid it
- Rough water skills in open water and how wind and waves can be helpful
- SUP camping skills – where and how to camp on the Salish Sea
- Learn how to keep our beaches and waters clean of debris and leave your camp as you found it
- Anything you want to learn?
Season: All Year.
Private or Public Group Trips. Contact me for a time that best fits your schedule.
Food / Beverages: This is a Self Catered meaning you cook your own food. We can supply cooking gear.
Roundtrip Paddling Distance: 6-8 miles RT, (3-4 miles per day with breaks) Distance depends on launch points and conditions.
Duration: 1 night, 2 days. Longer duration trips ok. Contact me to discuss
Skill Level: Adv Beginner and Intermediate. Must have some open water experience, be able to paddle 3-6 miles per day. Take our SUP Basics classes to prepare.
After Class Extras
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey or your instructor is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Or get Rob’s book: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound.’
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Group Class (8 Students Capacity): 609 per person
2 Person Private Class: 1,217 per person
1 Person Private Class (1-1): 1,999
+ Add Rental Gear:
- Full 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties, hood, gloves, PFD $30 per person
- Bringing your own gear? We recommend: 14′ or UL inflatable or hard board, drysuit or 4/3mm or full 5/4mm wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood, vest PFD, camping gear.
Skill Prerequisites: Adv Beginner to Intermediate:
You have taken our SUP Basics 2 class or similar. You can paddle 4-8 miles, can re-mount and have basic swim skills.
“Excellent experience! Rob is not only extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of SUP, but also many other factors that will enhance your experience. Among these, safety on the water, PNW places to explore, history and culture of the sport, a laundry list of tips on how to enjoy the SUP lifestyle year round and a solid under standing of the natural elements (tides, swells, wind patterns, geological and hydrological features, etc…).
He truly has a passion for the sport and demonstrates patience and expertise in his teaching.”
“Rob has introduced us to amazing new places to SUP and has taught us a lot of useful technique. I feel like a completely different paddler.”
“Rob is an expert in SUP and offers even more relevant training and helpful information because of his background in kayaking. His skill, knowledge and expertise exceeded my expectations. He presented the information and training in a very clear and concise manner; adding many various tips throughout his instruction. Rob is encouraging, patient and practical – all very important traits when teaching a subject. The course more than met my needs – I learned a lot and as a beginner – I have a lot to learn. I will continue to turn to him as my ‘go to’ resource in all matters SUP. I’m extremely glad I chose Salmon Bay Paddle and Rob for my first professional training in SUP. I felt safe and confident with him the whole time.”