Seventy48 Race Training
Seventy48 Race Training will help prepare you for this epic 70 mile race on Puget Sound. Learn from those who have done the race! 3 SBP instructors have completed the race.
Training for this race will be different for everyone giving your experience, fitness level, whether you’ve done long distance races or not. We’ll give you insight on training, mental preparedness, the best gear, packing, nutrition during the race, hydration and making time saving smart route decisions.
Seventy48 Race Training is a 4 Session Private Class – OR – Customized to your Needs. Shore classes can be done online via Zoom. Each session covers specific skills and info to give you the most info. If you don’t need all 4 classes, we can arrange a plan and rates to fit you interests.
Whether you’e an elite athlete and want to finish it in a day, or take your time, our Seventy48 Race Training will help you get there safer, while staying healthy and having fun.
Join the Seventy 48 Training Group, a private FB group where we’ll offer online chats with those who have completed the race.
Get free access to my online courses for each level. And be added to the Salmon Bay Paddle alumni group and receive Alumni discounts for future classes. You’ll also receive post class summaries on what we covered, gear lists and more.
Seventy48 Race Training is a private class for you and/or your family and friends set to your schedule. We recommend you complete the program in 3-4 months.
Class 1 – Stroke Analysis
- Get stroke analysis and training to make sure you have the most efficient pace
- Learn how to use fitness devices to improve your pace and distance
- Get bomber stability skills to stay standing in rough water and boat wakes
- Learn to read water so you get there easier with less effort
- Find out how to use efficient strokes using finesse to prevent shoulder injuries
- Learn how to paddle over boat wakes and in wind so you have more fun
- We’ll discuss paddling equipment and clothing options for all seasons
Class 2 – Tidal Currents / Route Planning
- Find out how to plan you trip and read currents on-water to get there easier
- We’ll discuss routes to PT and which to take and when
- How to navigate at night and / or when you’re fatigued and not thinking straight
- How to test the course pre-race so the race is more familiar once underway
- Get tips for paddling safely with other boats, ships, ferries and doing so at night
- Safety tips for communication and lighting
Class 3 – Rough Water Training
You can’t do this race and get to PT unless you can handle rough water. I recommend taking my Deception Pass Tidal Rapids or Downwinding Surf Class.
- Learn how to paddle upwind, side wind and downwind
- Boat wakes are your friends, find out why
- Find out how to stay calm and in control in heavy conditions
- How to dress for rough water and the possibility of capsize and self-recovery
- How to Downwind Surf to take advantage of winds to get you there easier
- How to surf ship and ferry wakes. Get a free ride.
Class 4 – TBA Per your Needs at the Time
This final class can be a repeat or follow up of the above classes or a new focus such as the following topics..
- Packing and outfitting your board, kayak or other watercraft
- Paddling specific sections of the course working with currents, wind and other elements
- More stroke and paddling skills techniques whether it be for speed, rough water practice or more
- Efficiency techniques – work less go further. Learn how to draft, get more glide, team skills …
- Paddling camping tips and techniques. How to spend your race breaks, guerilla camp, less is more..
- Weather and tide/currents skill building
Duration: Seattle classes including downwinding are 3hrs. Deception Pass is a 1/2 day. Location: Depends on goals. Extra fee for travel classes.
RATES – For 4 Classes: (contact me to take1-2 classes)
2 Person Private Class (for both): 723 each. See below for rental gear.
1-1: 1,450 – See below for rental gear.
GEAR RENTALS AVAILABLE: $15 per day toasty wetsuit, gloves, hood, booties and helmet (for DP). Optional deck bag (free).
Ask about my Monthly coaching option for kayak, sup and surf ski..
“I’ve had many SUP, surfing (and beyond) lessons world-wide but I haven’t found an expert in the area that compares to Rob’s level of quality experience, competency and teaching skills. Rob emphasizes safety first and caters to each individuals personal learning style in delivering quality instruction to paddlers of all levels. He truly went above and beyond and has set the bar extremely high for a business model that I hope to mirror. I will definitely return to him for further training.”
“Just like the other reviewers, I can’t say enough positive things about my experience with Rob of Salmon Bay Paddlers. With COVID preventing my other sport, I’ve been paddleboarding a lot lately on Lake Sammamish. I’ve only done recreational paddle boarding on holidays before so I wanted to check out formal training so that I could improve my skills and feel safe going out on the Sound or other larger, busier bodies of water that I’m far less familiar with.
Rob is a wealth of information, I’m a rower so I have some water skills but not others and he was perfect at covering what I needed and skipping past what I already knew. He answered a variety of my questions about everything from currents to wetsuits to boards to racing.
I walked away feeling he’s not only the expert but he really loves both paddle boarding itself as well as helping others enjoy paddle boarding. I can’t wait to sign up for more training from him..”
“Excellent experience! Rob is not only extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of SUP, but also many other factors that will enhance your experience. Among these, safety on the water, PNW places to explore, history and culture of the sport, a laundry list of tips on how to enjoy the SUP lifestyle year round and a solid under standing of the natural elements (tides, swells, wind patterns, geological and hydrological features, etc…).
He truly has a passion for the sport and demonstrates patience and expertise in his teaching. I recently took a SUP surfing class with him and in just 3 hours picked up a TON of things I can practice both in the surf and open water. I also had a lot of fun in during the lesson. Time spent with him will result in greater proficiency, more fun and a safe time on the water. Can’t recommend highly enough!”