Sea Kayaking Level 2
Covid-19 Update: SBP is open to individual and small groups to 4 people for Phase 2. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, recommended mask use on shore. All gear is always cleaned.
Take your kayak skills to the next level with Sea Kayaking Level 2. Learn how to turn on a dime, stay stable in rough water and make smarter route planning decisions.This class will give you more confidence with paddling on your own and going on trips and paddling on more than just glassy days.
If conditions allow, you’ll learn how to surf and/or downwind and/or surf boat wakes! All will bump your skill level up thus allowing you to paddle comfortably in more places. Also learn or refine rescues such as the paddle-float, T-rescue, scoop, stirrup and towing.
The class can be customized to your interests. Available All Year.
Location: Shilshole Bay in Seattle. Alternative locations can be available upon request. Fees applied for outside of Greater Seattle.
Check out my book ‘Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands, 60 Trips
- Learn how to edge your kayak so you can turn easier
- Learn the stern rudder, neutral, pry and a draw to get ultimate control of the boat
- Get a powerful yet injury free forward stroke so you get there easier with less effort
- Find out how to stay balanced in bumps with the low brace
- Begin to learn the combat (layback) roll so you can recover from a capsize and build confidence
- Find out how to read water so you can make smarter route planning decisions
- What do you want to learn? This class can be customized to your interests.
Class Size: 1 – 4 people.
Location: Shilshole Bay in Ballard / Seattle
Duration: Two 3 hour sessions. Learn at your own pace.
Schedule: Contact me to schedule. Available all year.
Instructor to Student Ratio: 1:1 / 1:2
- We will send you a summary of skills you learned in class and a list of NW paddling resources
- Additional kayak or sup classes take $10 off.
- Join our FB Alumni Group to connect with other paddlers.
Person (1-1): 597
2 Person Rate: 323 per person
Group Class (3-4 Students): 289 per person
+ Add Rental Gear:
- Stable Sea kayak, paddle, pump, paddle float, spray skirt, PFD (life vest) – ($30 per person)
- Full 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties, hood, gloves – ($20 per person) Wetsuits are seam sealed = dry.
Bringing your own gear? *Required Fall-Spring: Drysuit or full 5/4mm wetsuit, winter booties, gloves, hood, vest PFD, sprayskirt for closed deck boats, paddle, kayak with floatation or bulkheads.
Skill Prerequisites: SK L1 or similar.
Advanced Beginner or Intermediate. You have taken our Sea Kayak Level 1 or have similar experience. You can wet-exit and re-enter on you own, paddle straight and have basic edging and bracing skills.
My lesson with Robert Nissenbaum this weekend was fantastic. He is a great teacher and look forward to working more with him in the future!