Round the Light Race - Feb 13, 2022
Round the Light Race 2022 Race Details
The Round the Light Race are actually 2 courses on Seattle’s Shilshole Bay and a fundraiser to benefit the Ballard Elks Lodge “Operating Fund.”
The “Short Course” is a 2.34 mile route in protected Salmon and Shilshole Bays for those not ready for a longer race.
The 7 mile “Long Course” will take you from the Ballard Elks Lodge beach around the historic West Point Lighthouse to huge erratic boulder Four Mile Rock off south Magnolia Bluff, and return to the Elks Lodge.
This course has epic views of the Olympic Mountains, downtown Seattle, Mt Rainier, Alki Point, Bainbridge, Blake and Vashon Islands and Mt Baker. You may encounter waves from wind and ships, wind and tidal current around West Point.
The 7 mile “Long Course” is only for paddlers and rowers with proven open water experience in wind and waves. You must have a 100% ability to re-mount in rough water and not be a liability to us if the conditions are rough. We will have a protected alternative course for high wind and will cancel for wind above 15 knots in either direction.
*Alternative Course for High Wind: This will be on the Short Course – 1x around for short course racers. 2x around for Long Course participants.
Prizes and Awards from our sponsors: Hammer Nutrition, Seattle Sports Company, Salmon Bay Paddle and KAVU.
All participants get 10% off online at Mile22 Straps and Seattle Sports Company!
Short Course: 1p 49 / 2 person craft 57 / 3 person craft 57 / 4-6 person craft 125
Long Course: 1p 60 / 2 person craft 70 / 3 person craft 70 / 4 person craft 145 / 6 person craft 199
Salmon Bay Paddle Alumni and our SBP race regulars get 20% off Long Course only after Early Bird ends. *Ask for Discount Code
Early Bird Specials ( *Long Course Only ):
20% off until Jan 20, 2021 at 12:01 AM
15% off until Feb 9, 2022 at 12:01 AM
Terms and Conditions:
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued. Cancelled fees donated to the Ballard Elks Operating Fund.
- If Race Organizers cancel race for Covid, all fees will be donated to the Ballard Elks Operating Fund.
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
The Ballard Elks are located in Ballard in Seattle by Ray’s Boathouse. Address: 6411 Seaview Ave NW DIRECTIONS
Restrooms at the Elks. Wear a mask inside. OK to Park in the Elks Lot. Keep cars on left side if possible
What you Get for your Race Fee:
Raise funds for our favorite Ballard Elks Lodge’s “Operating Fund”. Plus paid expert safety crews to watch over you during the race. Other essential race expenses: Race insurance; and paid event staff plus admin time in obtaining race CG permit and other essential pre-race organization.
- This Race follows current Phase guidance with online registration
- Masks & distancing on shore.
- Don’t attend if you’re sick or have a temperature.
- Zoom Safety Meeting to go over race details night before. Participants get link with registration.
Safety Pre-Race Check – Required to Race:
- All long course racers will be asked a few questions to make sure you have adequate skills for this course.
- All long and short course racer personal equipment and water craft will be checked on shore prior to launching.
- Long Course – Must have proven experience in rough water, wind and waves. Must be Intermediate and above.
- Kayaks 14′ min and SUP minimum 12′-6″ due to distance.
- Must know how to swim and 100% self-rescue. Not knowing how to remount put everyone at risk.
- PFD / Life Jackets required to be worn for all racers except prone. Rowers must have a foam PFD and leash.
- Leashes required for all craft including rowers.
- Must dress for immersion for air/water temps.
- Hi-vis colors so we can see you.
- Reliable tethered communication device. VHF and/or waterproofed and tethered phone.
- If you’re unsure of your abilities for this race, you shouldn’t sign up. We offer year round race and open water training.
2.3 SHORT OR ALT COURSE:
LONG 7 MILE COURSE:
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2022 RACES:
- April 2 – 2 Islands Dash (DP Spring Race) – TBA
- TBA – Hammer the Inlet, 15 mile race on tidal current in Hammersley Inlet
- July 25 – Bremerton 2 Bridges Tidal Race in swift tidal current
- Sept 25 – Lake Crescent Race
OTHER PNW 2022 RACES SERIES
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series