River SUP 1
River SUP 1 will teach you how to safely run PNW rivers on a paddle board.
This class focuses on Class 1 rivers (moving current to small rapids) you’ll learn how to plan trips for your skill level, understanding conditions, which gear to get, safety considerations and how to prepare a safe run on-site.
Once on-river, you’ll learn essential river skills such as crossing eddy lines, ferrying across current. peel out and peel in current, falling safely, looking for hazards and working you way down a river.
Core Skills You’ll Gain:
- How to forecast river conditions, understanding river levels as well as types of rivers and hydraulics
- Find out which clothing and equipment to get including quick release leashes
- Find out how to read rivers so you can make smart decisions and stay off the news
- Learn how to cross eddy lines, ferry across current and peel in and out of current
- Spotting and avoiding river hazards so you have a safe run
- Get skills for falling safely and preventing foot entrapment
- Shuttle tips for you know what to bring on-river and what to leave in the car.
- You’ll receive suggestions for river paddling books as well as PNW guides and resources for finding runs and conditions
Check out Schedule below or book a private class. Contact us to save your spot. Classes are kept small for safety. (4 people capacity)
DURATION: 1/2 day (4 hrs).
WHO SHOULD ATTEND? Must have intermediate paddling skills, comfortable in rough water, can remount easily and have basic swimming skills. Take our SUP Basics 2 and/or Deception Pass Class to prepare.
Bringing Your Own Gear? Bring a Stable all a-rounder inflatable SUP. Vest PFD (no waist belts), quick release leash, paddling helmet (not a climbing or bike helmet), dry suit or full surfing 5/4mm wet. Booties with tread, gloves and hood recommended. Rentals Available.
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll available after class to help you learn how to paddle in the Pass on your own and help with gear selection and more.
- Get free access to my SUP 101 SUP online course. 24 Lessons plus our fav marine weather and tide/currents apps and resources. (Value: $199)
- Get free access to my SUP Rescues and Water Safety online course. Learn the Flip Rescue, stirrup for iSups, getting on your board and more. (Value: $197)
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- Get 20% off any title at Mountaineers Books. Rob’s book ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers’ is published by Mountaineers Books
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker
May 7, 21 (Snohomish River) / July 9th (Skagit River)
Group Class 3 – 4 students – 349 per person
2 Person Private Class: 459 per person
1-1: 729 Get personalized training from a patient expert coach with a strong focus on safety.
Gear Rentals Available: $15 per person – Stable 10-11’x30″ inflatable SUP, paddle, PFD (life vest) / $15 per person – full 5/4mm wetsuit, NRS booties, hood, gloves.
Rates are non-negotiable / Gratuities are welcome!
Covid-19: We follow current State guidance. Instructors are vaccinated.
“Paddled Deception Pass with Rob as my patient, professional guide – excellent experience! I was terrified and almost decided not to go at the last minute, and Rob calmly explained the plan, assured me my skills were solid (I took 2 classes from him in preparation over a few weeks) and got me back in the right frame of mind.
It was a beautiful paddle, challenging at times in a good way, and we got to see seals, barnacles, a short tour through the sea caves as a bonus, and received excellent instruction from Rob from start to finish. I’m forever grateful and pleased with all my classes and the DP paddle as well.
I love that he’s so into safety, customized teaching at your pace (meeting where you’re at in your skills and able to push you further without overwhelming you), and he’s just a pleasant person overall. I recommend this to anyone interested in SUP, learning new things, and adventure!”
“Rob and Harry are outstanding instructors. They know the industry and are willing to share their knowledge to make you better. Rob excels in the technical areas and his teaching provides insight in helping you increase your skills. I have taken the instructor training and the Deception Pass’s tidal rapids class and both experiences were outstanding. The classes were held in epic places in the PNW. Salmon Bay Paddle will make you a better paddler and you will have a good time doing it!”