Hammer the Inlet
Hammer the Inlet
Hammer the Inlet is roughly a 16 mile race in swift tidal current on Hammersley Inlet in South Puget Sound. Take the 1.9 knot ebb out from Shelton and the 1.4 knot flood current back up the winding picturesque inlet.
Paddlers call this run the ‘Hammersley Shuttle’ or ‘Shuffle’ for the tidal push allowing for a nice glide with current. Back eddies and eddy-lines add a little spice or challenge around the various bends and curves at Skookum and Libby Points and Cape Horn.
Date: Saturday – May 8, 2021 / Heat Start Times: 10:15 AM to catch end of the ebb current
Length: Approx 16 miles in tidal current. Depends if you hug the shore or take a more direct route.
Who Should Come? All human powered paddling and rowing craft that can self rescue and paddle the distance in light current
Rates: $55 1 person, $65 2 person craft. *Price Increase 5/5: $65 1p, $75 2p / *Registration Ends Friday 5/7 7pm.
Kayak Clinics also available during the race by SBP coach, Robert Nissenbaum. Details TBA
Buy ‘I survived Hammersely Inlet’ t-shirts to support the Shelton Yacht Club at the race. Bring cash or a check.
Parking and restrooms at the Shelton Yacht Club plus a boat ramp for all craft
Sponsored by Hammer Nutrition!
COVID-19 – This is a ‘real on-water race’ with Virtual Race shore safety protocols following current Phase guidance with online registration only, social distancing and masks on shore and 1 min segmented starts for distancing. No land event before/after and Online awards.
2021-05-08 Sat 9:16 AM PDT -1.9 knots Max Ebb 2021-05-08 Sat 12:16 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2021-05-08 Sat 3:21 PM PDT 1.4 knots Max Flood
- Kayaks 12’+ and SUP minimum 12-6′
- Must know how to swim and self rescue
- Team or 2 person boats should be within the same household.
- Must finish under 3 hours per current Phase guidance
- Life Jacket Requirements – PFDs required to be worn for racers plus leashes for SUPs. Prone paddle board and rowers can carry on craft.
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
* Friday 7pm – Pre-race Zoom Safety Meeting. Registrants will receive zoom link (check junk). Email me if you can’t make it and have questions
8:30 AM – Start virtual check-in upon arrival
10 AM – 1pm PM – Get on water, listen for your start time confirmation and placement
10:15 AM – *RACE HEATS START – Divisions in groups of 20 launching 1 minute apart
3 PM – End event. Award and times sent online after race.
QUESTIONS / CONTACT: Rob Casey – Email preferred/ 206-465-7167
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2021 RACES:
- Past: Seattle Race Series – 5 Bridges Race – Jan 17, 2021
- Past – Elks Crossing Benevolent Benefit to help the Ballard Elks Lodge. 6 miles.
- March 28 – Seattle Race Series – Agua Verde and Link the Lakes Race
- April 24 – Deception Pass Challenge Spring Race – New Course to Cornet to Hope Island RT
- June 13 – Wanda Fuca Downwinder, Port Angeles – 10am. (13.5 miles)
- Sept 18 – Lake Crescent Downwinder (8-10m)
- December 4 – Deception Pass Challenge (Dash)
OTHER PNW 2021 RACES SERIES
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series (Starts May 3)