Hammer the Inlet
Hammer the Inlet
Hammer the Inlet is roughly a 15.3 mile race in swift tidal current on Hammersley Inlet in South Puget Sound. The goal is to start a bit before slack and get to the end of the inlet before the 2.5 knot flood slows you down. Then enjoy a swift tidal assisted ride back to Shelton.
Paddlers call this run the ‘Hammersley Shuttle’ or ‘Shuffle’ for the tidal push allowing for a nice glide with current. Back eddies and eddy-lines add a little spice or challenge around the various bends and curves at Skookum and Libby Points and Cape Horn.
Length: Approx 15.3 miles in tidal current. Should feel like 8 miles with the flood current coming in!
- RACE REQUIREMENTS:
- Long and Short Course: Kayaks 13′ min and SUP minimum 12′-6′” due to distance.
- Must know how to swim and 100% self-rescue. Not knowing how to remount put everyone at risk.
- PFD / Life Jackets required to be worn for all racers except prone. Leashes required for all craft.
- Hi-vis colors so we can see you.
- Reliable tethered communication device. VHF and/or waterproofed and tethered phone. VHF to channel #69.
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
Kayak Clinics available during the race with Salmon Bay Paddle coach, Robert Nissenbaum. Kayak Class Details
Sponsored by Hammer Nutrition!
10% proceeds donated to the South Sound Restoration Project.
Parking and restrooms at the Shelton Yacht Club plus a boat ramp for all craft
QUESTIONS / CONTACT: Rob Casey – Email preferred/ 206-465-7167
The MV Mistico turn-a-round boat at the mouth of PIckering Passage.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2022 RACES:
- Jan 16, Elks Crossing Benevolent Benefit
- Feb 15 – Seattle Ship Canal race
- April 2 – Deception Pass Challenge Spring Race – New Course to Hope Island RT
- July 25 – Bremerton 2 Bridges Tidal Race
- July 30 – Wanda Fuca Downwinder, Port Angeles – 10am. (13.5 miles))
- December 10 – 6 mile race in tidal rapids – Deception Pass Challenge (Dash)
OTHER PNW 2021 RACES SERIES
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series (Starts May 3)