Hammer the Inlet
Hammer the Inlet
Hammer the Inlet is roughly a 15.3 mile race in swift tidal current on Hammersley Inlet in South Puget Sound. Take the 1.9 knot ebb out from Shelton and the 1.4 knot flood current back up the winding picturesque inlet.
Paddlers call this run the ‘Hammersley Shuttle’ or ‘Shuffle’ for the tidal push allowing for a nice glide with current. Back eddies and eddy-lines add a little spice or challenge around the various bends and curves at Skookum and Libby Points and Cape Horn.
Date: Saturday – May 8, 2021 / Heat Start Times: 10:15 AM to catch end of the ebb current
Length: Approx 15.3 miles in tidal current.
Who Should Come? All human powered paddling and rowing craft that can self rescue.
Fee: $45 1 person craft, $55 2 person craft. / Fee Goes Up: 5/7: $55 1p, $65 2p / *Registration Ends Friday 5/7 7pm.
Kayak Clinics available during the race with Salmon Bay Paddle coach, Robert Nissenbaum. Kayak Class Details
Sponsored by Hammer Nutrition!
Fiona Wylde SUP Racing Clinic (Friday)
10% proceeds donated to the South Sound Restoration Project.
Buy ‘I survived Hammersely Inlet’ t-shirts to support the Shelton Yacht Club at the race. Bring cash or a check.
Parking and restrooms at the Shelton Yacht Club plus a boat ramp for all craft
COVID-19 – This is a ‘real on-water race’ with Virtual Race shore safety protocols following current Phase guidance with online registration only, social distancing and masks on shore and 1 min segmented starts for distancing. No land event before/after and Online awards.
- Kayaks 12’+ and SUP minimum 12-6′
- Must know how to swim and self rescue
- Team or 2 person boats should be within the same household.
- Must finish under 4 hours per current Phase guidance
- PFDs required to be worn for racers plus leashes for SUPs. Prone paddle board and rowers can carry on craft.
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
QUESTIONS / CONTACT: Rob Casey – Email preferred/ 206-465-7167
The MV Mistico turn-a-round boat at the mouth of PIckering Passage.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2021 RACES:
- June 13 – Wanda Fuca Downwinder, Port Angeles – 10am. (13.5 miles)
- July 25 – Bremerton Tidal Race!
- Sept 18 – Lake Crescent Downwinder (10m)
- December 4 – Deception Pass Challenge (Dash)
OTHER PNW 2021 RACES SERIES
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series (Starts May 3)