Hammer the Inlet
Hammer the Inlet on Hammersley Inlet – July 24th
Hammer the Inlet are Short and Long paddling and rowing races on beautiful Hammersley Inlet in Shelton on South Puget Sound.
The Short Course is 2.5 miles around Oakland Bay near Shelton.
The Long Race is roughly a 13-15 mile paddling and rowing race in swift tidal current. The goal is to start at slack and get to the end of the Cape Horn before the 2.5 knot flood prevents you from getting there. Slower craft start early. Then enjoy a swift tidal assisted ride on the flood current back to Shelton.
Paddlers call this run the ‘Hammersley Shuttle’ or ‘Shuffle’ for the tidal push allowing for a nice glide with current. Back eddies and eddy-lines add a little spice or challenge around the various bends and curves at Skookum and Libby Points and Cape Horn.
In 2021 participants enjoyed fresh oysters donated by a local oyster farm!
10% proceeds donated to the South Sound Restoration Project.
Date: July 24th
- RACE REQUIREMENTS:
- Long and Short Course: Kayaks 13′ min and SUP minimum 12′-6′” due to distance.
- Must know how to swim and 100% self-rescue. Not knowing how to remount put everyone at risk.
- PFD / Life Jackets required to be worn for all racers except prone. Leashes required for all craft.
- Hi-vis colors so we can see you.
- Reliable tethered communication device. VHF and/or waterproofed and tethered phone. VHF to channel #69.
- Recommend running the course on your own prior to the race for best results.
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued. Cancelled fees donated to the South Sound Salmon Enhancement Group.
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
Kayak Clinics available during the race with Salmon Bay Paddle coach, Robert Nissenbaum. Kayak Class Details
REGISTER HERE / Opens Spring 2022
Parking and restrooms at the Shelton Yacht Club plus a boat ramp for all craft
QUESTIONS / CONTACT: Rob Casey – Email preferred/ 206-465-7167
The MV Mistico turn-a-round boat at the mouth of PIckering Passage.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2022 RACES:
- Feb 13 – Round the Light Race around Seattle’s West Point Lighthouse. Fundraiser for the Ballard Elks.
- March 12 or 13 – St Paddles Day on Hood Canal (a Maybe, looking into it)
- April 2 – 2 Islands Dash (DP Spring Race) – TBA waiting on park permit
- June 25 – Bremerton 2 Bridges Tidal Race in swift tidal current. Super fun race!
- July 24 – Hammer the Inlet, 3m and 13 mile race on tidal current on Hammersley Inlet. Oysters!
- Sept 25 – Lake Crescent Race – Short and Long courses in Olympic National Park
- Dec 10 – Deception Pass Dash/Challenge, TBA.
OTHER PNW 2021 RACES SERIES
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series