Hammer the Inlet Course Details
Hammer the Inlet Course Details
Hammer the Inlet is roughly a 16 mile race in swift tidal current on Hammersley Inlet in South Puget Sound. Take the 1.9 knot ebb out from Shelton and the 1.4 knot flood current back up the winding picturesque inlet.
Paddlers call this run the ‘Hammersley Shuttle’ or ‘Shuffle’ for the tidal push allowing for a nice glide with current. Back eddies and eddy-lines add a little spice or challenge around the various bends and curves at Skookum and Libby Points and Cape Horn.
Date: Saturday – May 8, 2021 / Heat Start Times: 10:15 AM to catch end of the ebb current out
Length: Approx 16 miles in tidal current. Depends if you hug the shore or take a more direct route.
Who Should Come? All human powered paddling and rowing craft that can self rescue and paddle the distance in light current
Rates: $55 1 person, $65 2 person craft. *Price Increase 5/5: $65 1p, $75 2p / *Registration Ends Friday 5/7 7pm.
COVID-19 – This is a ‘real on-water race’ with Virtual Race shore safety protocols following current Phase guidance with online registration only, social distancing and masks on shore and 1 min segmented starts for distancing. No land event before/after and Online awards.
Tides for May 8th in Hammersley Inlet / Boat Ramp may be in mud for launching..
2021-05-08 Sat 9:16 AM PDT -1.9 knots Max Ebb 2021-05-08 Sat 12:16 PM PDT 0.0 knots Slack, Flood Begins
2021-05-08 Sat 3:21 PM PDT 1.4 knots Max Flood
QUESTIONS / CONTACT: Rob Casey – Email preferred or 206-465-7167
Blue Swirls are boils, eddy lines or similar tidal features
Red ‘L’ are for launch locations. Main launch at Shelton Yacht Club.
LEFT Turn-a-round at Pickering Passage is a power boat specified on Race Day. Location at mouth may change.
Restrooms in the Shelton Yacht Club – * One person only per restroom per Covid guidance.
Parking – Park in the Shelton Yacht Club lot.
Launching at low tide, it may be muddy below the boat ramp
- Kayaks 12’+ and SUP minimum 12-6′
- Must know how to swim and self rescue
- Team or 2 person boats should be within the same household.
- Must finish under 3 hours per current Phase guidance
- Life Jacket Requirements – PFDs required to be worn for racers plus leashes for SUPs. Prone paddle board and rowers can carry on craft.
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
QUESTIONS / CONTACT: Rob Casey – Email preferred/ 206-465-7167
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2021 RACES:
- Past: Seattle Race Series – 5 Bridges Race – Jan 17, 2021
- Past – Elks Crossing Benevolent Benefit to help the Ballard Elks Lodge. 6 miles.
- March 28 – Seattle Race Series – Agua Verde and Link the Lakes Race
- April 24 – Deception Pass Challenge Spring Race – New Course to Cornet to Hope Island RT
- June 13 – Wanda Fuca Downwinder, Port Angeles – 10am. (13.5 miles)
- Sept 18 – Lake Crescent Downwinder (8-10m)
- December 4 – Deception Pass Challenge (Dash)
OTHER PNW 2021 RACES SERIES
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series (Starts May 3)