Elk Crossing Benevolent Benefit
Elk Crossing Benevolent Benefit – Jan 16
Thanks to everyone who attended this race including our safety boat volunteers!
I”ll be donating $500 to the Ballard Elks Club.
Thanks to our Sponsors for providing epic awards to race winners!
GIANT FISH, KAVU, SUSPENZ, SEATTLE SPORTS COMPANY, EPIC KAYAKS!
Sunday Jan 16th 10am – Elk Crossing Benevolent Benefit Races are a 8.3 mile Long Course and 3.4 mile Short Course on Seattle’s inner waterways to benefit the Ballard Elks Lodge Operating Fund. The Elks is a charitable organization benefiting many in our community.
Race past houseboats, Alaskan crab boats, see city views and race under Seattle’s drawbridges.
Long Course (8.3 miles) racers will paddle under 5 bridges twice! Paddle down the picturesque Fremont Ship Canal past Gas Works Park under the I-5 and University Bridges turning under the 520 Bridge in Portage Bay and return to Ballard. Enjoy downtown city views!
Short Course (3.4 miles) goes to the Fremont Bridge and turns back returning to Ballard.
Sponsors – Awards / Prizes:
GiantFish – $100 gift code / KAVU / Suspenz $75 Gift Card / Seattle Sports / SBP hats!
Who Should Race?
- You should have competent skills, know how to swim and be able to remount your craft in winter conditions.
- Open to SUP, OC, row, prone, pedal craft, surf ski, kayak, wing foil
Race Heats Start: 10am /. Race Start Directions – Free parking on Sunday
- This Race follows current Phase guidance with online registration
- Masks & distancing on shore.
- Don’t attend if you’re sick or have a temperature.
- Zoom Safety Meeting to go over race details night before. Participants get link with registration.
- Online awards to avoid crowding after race
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued. Cancelled fees are donated to the Ballard Elks Lodge’s Operating Fund.
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
Short Course: 1p 45 / 2 person craft 55 / 4 person craft 99 / 6 person craft 145
Long Course: 1p 60 / 2 person craft 70 / 4 person craft 125 / 6 person craft 165
** REGISTER HERE: **
Salmon Bay Paddle Alumni and our SBP race regulars get 20% off Long Course only **Ask for Discount Code
What you Get for your Race Fee:
Raise funds for our favorite Ballard Elks Lodge’s “Operating Fund”. Plus expert safety crew to watch over you during the race. Other essential race expenses: The City of Seattle permit allows us to use the Ballard boat ramp and local waterways; Race insurance; and paid event staff.
- Kayaks 13′ min and SUP minimum 12′-6′” due to distance.
- Must know how to swim and 100% self-rescue. Not knowing how to remount puts everyone at risk.
- PFD / Life Jackets required to be worn for all racers except prone.
- Leashes required for all craft.
- Hi-vis colors so we can see you.
- Stay out of the way of moving boats – they have right of way.
- Reliable tethered communication device. VHF and/or waterproofed and tethered phone. VHF to channel #69.
- All clothing and equipment will be checked on site pre-race.
QUESTIONS / CONTACT: Rob Casey – Email preferred/ 206-465-7167
NEW RACE START:
THE SHORT 3.4 MILE COURSE – Ballard to Fremont Bridge and Return
LONG 8.1 MILE COURSE – Ballard to Portage Bay and return.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2022 RACES:
- Feb 15 – Round the Light Race on Shilshole Bay. Short and Long race. Elks fundraiser.
- July 25 – Bremerton 2 Bridges Tidal Race in swift tidal current
- May – Hammer the Inlet on Hammersely Inlet – Maybe..
- September 25th – Lake Crescent Race, Olympic National Park
Other 2022 PNW Races
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series
Urban Surf Summer Series