Deception Pass Challenge Spring Race Details - April 24
Deception Pass Challenge Spring Race Details
Date: Saturday April 24, 2021 – 2:15-2:30pm Heats Start (Depends on duration of slack which varies per conditions)
The Course – 7.8 miles
Starting just after beginning of the Ebb – Beat the ebb at Hope Island!
- Start from the Cornet Bay Boat Ramp – Head east to round Hoypus Point
- Thread between Skagit and Kiket Islands
- Get to the east side of Hope Island before the ebb becomes too strong (Crux spot) east sides of Hope Island
- Clockwise around Hope Island
- Shoot down the ebb between Hope and Ala Point.
- Head back to the Start/Finish Line at Cornet Bay
Tip: Hug the shore for eddy help along Hoypus Point going east. Learn how to do a ferry angle when crossing current to Skagit Island.
Registrants will receive a link to our pre-race 8pm Zoom Safety Meeting Friday night 4/23.
Heat start times emailed Saturday before Race
Bring your Discovery Pass or purchase a day parking pass at the boat ramp
Lodging / Camping: Deception Pass State Park. Lots of AirBnB’s nearby plus lodging in nearby Anacortes and Oak Harbor.
- Racers get 10% off at the Marina Inn in nearby Anacortes / 15% off at Auld Holland in Oak Harbor (Call 360-675-2288)
Mention you’re with the Deception Pass Spring Race for both!
DIRECTIONS to the Cornet Bay Boat Ramp. A 1.5 hour drive in good traffic from Seattle with no ferry required. Get Keystone ferry reservations if coming from the Olympic Peninsula.
Race Notes and Hazards..
- Hug shore along Hoypus Point for a nice eddy to avoid ebb current
- Reef near east shores on Skagit and Hope Islands
- Nice vault restroom on Skagit Island at WWTA campsite
- NO Landing on Kiket Island across from Skagit Island, it’s a nature preserve.
- Watch for boating traffic