In this Stand Up Paddling 101 online course you’ll get started right with step by step instruction on what to wear, which board to get and how to stand with confidence. You won’t find this many in-depth videos in one place on YouTube.
Whether you want to paddle on flat water, or take on a new challenge, there are essential skills and knowledge to have fun, stay safe, paddle further and in more challenging conditions.
If you’ve struggled with paddling before or think you just don’t have good balance, you’ll learn the basic skills needed to have fun, stay safe, and paddle efficiently. And learn alternative ways for standing up and paddling. Stand up isn’t just about standing, we also enjoy paddling while sitting, kneeling and prone (like a surfer) as well.
Learn from SUP pioneer and author Rob Casey who owns Seattle based Salmon Bay Paddle. With a background in kayaking Rob brings a wide in depth knowledge to paddling and over a decade of teaching experience to help you get started.
Rob is author of “Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers” is founder of PSUPA and teaches everything from beginner basics to SUP surfing, river sup, downwinding and touring.
Learn balance tips so you’ll be more relaxed paddling, fall less and how to paddle straight
Unlike many quick start courses that set you up to fail, this course gives a true foundation from an instructor who in person is known for his patience.
Core Skills You’re Learn:
- Alternatives to standing up – Prone (on chest), sitting and kneeling
- Step by step instructions for standing up on your board plus tips if you’re having difficulty
- Easy warm-ups for paddling and injury prevention
- Falling is normal! Learn to fall safely
- How to climb back on your board easily no matter your body type or board type.
- Life jacket types from Vest style to waist C02s.
- How to attach a leash and which to use
- How to install a fin, and different fin types
- Basic Inflatable SUP inflation and deflation techniques
- Learn about different types of boards and board anatomy so you can purchase the right board
- Paddling clothing for different types of water and conditions
- How to paddle straight so you’ll get there easier with less effort
- Balance tips so you worry less and have more fun on bumps, boat wakes and more
- How to launch from a dock safely (and return)
- How to turn easily with a few easy methods such as the sweep stroke. Turn quicker!
- Methods for carrying your board and how to easily car-top and secure the board
- Board security and ding repair
- Pre-Trip Checklist so you will be prepared and never forget anything
- Prepare your car for paddling with a good car-top system, straps and a place for wet gear
- Paddling Clothing – What to wear and when
- What to pack for day trips
- Best apps for marine forecasts, tracking ships, determining tides and currents.
Take your time to view the course, there is no timeline. We know everyone has their own learning style.
Rob is the author of these two paddling guides both from Mountaineers Books, “Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers” and “Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans.” He is also the founder of PSUPA and runs Seattle based Salmon Bay Paddle.
Make your first Stand Up Paddling experience a good one! Get the foundational skills needed to paddle on your own with confidence.
Testimonials about your Instructor…
“I took a SUP basic class with Rob and it was a blast! He is incredibly knowledgeable and adapted the class to meet the needs of the students. We covered a range of topics: stroke techniques, gear, wave/ wind conditions, and practiced rescue with a partner. Rob provided a detailed summary of SUP resources and class info, following the course. Looking forward to my next class with salmon bay paddle!”
“I recently took Rob’s SUP Basics Level 1 intro lesson. Very glad I did. I took the class hoping to get a solid foundation on SUP basics from the ground (or water) up. I left with a solid understanding of the fundamentals, and an appetite to go out again as soon as I can. Rob made it super easy and fun (there was a lot of good conversation during the dry ground orientation and out in the water during “board meetings”). He puts a lot of emphasis on safety and made me rethink ever going out on a board without a leash and PFD. He even followed up after the class with techniques I need to work on. I’m mulling what lesson to take next.”
Rob is legit. He’s patient, humble, and incredibly knowledgeable on the water. I really enjoyed my time with him!”