Take your skills to the next level with this Advanced SUP Skills course taught by paddle board pioneer, coach and author Rob Casey. Learn stable pivot/buoy turns, paddling in wind, a downwinding intro, how to surf boat wakes, walk the board, cold weather paddling and much more.
Advanced SUP Skills Course Core Skills
- Pre and post paddle stretches and warm-ups by fitness trainer and paddler Joe McColskey.
- Learn a super stable buoy / pivot turn. Also called the kick back or buoy turn
- Find out how to do the Cross Bow turn and variations or that turn
- Learn how to prone paddle for up-wind conditions, cross training and if you lose your paddle.
- Intro to Downwinding and big water paddling
- Paddle efficiently and straight when sitting down and kneeling. Also essential skills for up-wind and rough water paddling.
- How to safely fall and get back on any board in any conditions including high wind.
- Get bomber stability skills for paddling in waves, boat wakes and confused water
- Learn how to go sideways, backwards and stopping, essential skills for surfing, rivers and more
- More directional control skills using sweep turns using minimal effort to turn quicker with less effort
- Learn a powerful and low energy forward stroke for maximum speed, more distance and less injuries
- Learn how to paddle straight which saves energy and will help you catch more waves and pass others in races
- Find out why you don’t need to turn in to a boat wake and how to turn around and surf it!
Also – Review of Fundamental Skills
Many intermediate and advanced paddlers are in a rush to hit the big water and end up skipping essential fundamental skills that can help catch more waves easier or save their life!
Bonus Material –
- Marine Navigation for Paddlers – Learn basic navigation for planning trips and making smarter route decisions
- Communication On-Water – How to use a VHF radio and other communication methods
- Cold water paddling clothing
- Save a life with the Flip Rescue and Towing! Learn these essential water safety skills!
Get essential Downloads and Resources to help you plan trips, never forgot gear using check-lists and my favorite weather, wind, tide, current and ship tracking apps.
Rob Casey is the author of “Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers” by Mountaineers Books. He founded the Professional Stand Up Paddle Association (PSUPA) and started his Seattle SUP business Salmon Bay Paddle in 2010. He has written for Stand Up Journal, SUP Magazine, Canoe Kayak and many more. He pioneered freighter and tug surfing on Puget Sound in Seattle and loves to teach in tidal rapids, surf and on downwinders.