Port Angeles Travel Guide
Port Angeles Travel Guide
Located 2.5 hours from Seattle via ferry (or driving around) Port Angeles or ‘PA’ is a coastal community on the North Olympic Peninsula known for great paddling, surfing and access points to Olympic National Park such as Lake Crescent, the Elwha River and Hurricane Ridge. ‘PA’ can be accessed as a day trip or overnight. Many Seattle area surfers visit for day trips.
Talk like a local: ‘PA’ means Port Angeles
SBP Class and Race Locations
Salt Creek Rec Area – Surfing and coastal touring spot. Also has camping and RVs.
Freshwater Bay Boat Ramp – Wanda Fuca Downwind and Freshwater Bay Tours
Lake Crescent – Sept 18th Race – Storm King Boat Ramp
Travel Directions & Tips
Ferries: Take the Kingston, Bainbridge or Bremerton ferries from Seattle. Or Port Townsend ferry from Whidbey Island (get a reservation). Use WSDOT to check schedules, real time status, cameras of lines etc. Early is best to avoid lines. Or late at night. Get the WSDOT app to check ferry schedules, boat status and cams of lots.
- From the South – Take Highway 16 and the Narrows Bridge and head north to Highway 3, then the 104 across Hood Canal Bridge then to the 101 to PA. Aim for ‘Port Angeles’ on the Olympic Peninsula.
- From Seattle – Kingston, Bremerton or Bainbridge Ferries. Head north to the Hood Canal Bridge on the 104 which becomes the 101 at Discovery Bay. Head west.
- From Port Townsend – Coupeville/Keystone Ferry to Port Townsend. Then link up with westbound Hwy 101 (Discovery Bay route is the fastest).
Port Angeles Lodging Options
All Port Angeles Lodging (all area places hotels, camping and VRBO/AirBnB)
Lake Crescent Lodge (Olympic Nat’l Park) 20 min from Port Angeles. Cabins and hotel, beautiful spot. * 20 min drive to Salt Creek Rec Area.
Emerald Valley Inn (Granny’s Cafe) on the 101 on way to Lake Crescent. Great food, soft serve and farm animals!
Log Cabin Resort (Olympic National Park) is on the east end of Lake Crescent. *15 min drive to Salt Creek Rec Area.
AirBNB & VRBO – We’ll be paddling at one or several of these spots: Freshwater Bay, Crescent Beach / Salt Creek Rec Area, Lake Crescent.
Whiskey Creek Resort – Cabins and tenting on he Strait of Juan de Fuca near Joyce
Camping & RV Spots
Elwha Dam RV Park – Right off the 112 and 101, close to beaches.
Salt Creek Recreational Area – Great waterfront park with camping, RV and day use. Crescent Beach has great surfing, tide pools and exploring.
Lake Crescent Camping – Fairholme in Olympic National Park (first come first served)
Beer / Wine Options
- Harbinger Winery on the 101 west of PA en route to Lake Crescent and beaches. The outdoor back bar area is heated and has great mountain views.
- Barhop is a great brewery and pizza place on the Pa waterfront.
- Next Door Gastropub has great beer and food in downtown PA (expect 1 hr waits)
- Bourbon West, owned by the Gastropub, in downtown PA (pub grub)
- Traylor’s has an epic retro bar (inside) as you enter PA (and great food), open late.
Food in Port Angeles –
‘PA’ food places tend to be closed Sundays and/or early evening. Call each or check online for open hours.
Near or at Lake Crescent –
Granny’s Cafe. Soft serve, burgers, sandwiches and things. Goats and a donkey out back for the kids.
Lake Crescent Lodge – Formal dining room and picturesque sun room overlooking the lake.
Log Cabin Resort – East side of the lake.
Our favorite spots in Port Angeles
Next Door Gastropub; Barhop (pizza beer); Wildfire/LD Grill, Traylor’s (diner style, open late), The Haven (breakfast); Bella Italia, Smugglers Landing, Spruce, Sabai Thai, Sapor, Drake’s Subs, Coyote BBQ.
Food / Services in Joyce, WA – Near Crescent Beach
Blackberry Cafe – Sandwiches, burgers and shakes.
Joyce Country Store – Super fun classic place with groceries, gas, hardware, and the biggest candy selection. Worth a visit!
Supplies – Camping, Paddling, Outdoors, Hardware, General
Swain’s – A classic ‘everything’ store with camping, outdoors, hardware, clothing/shoes, kitchen etc… Worth a visit!!
Brown’s Outdoor – Camping, backpacking, clothing. Very knowledgable staff on local hiking tips and conditions.
Country Aire – Natural food style grocery store, like a PCC.
Safeway – 2 locations
Paddle and Hiking Guides
Get my paddling guide Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans (Trips #38-40)
Day Hiking Olympic Peninsula – Craig Romano, Mountaineers Books
Creaky Knees Guide Washington – Sasquatch Books
Port Book and News (Bookstore) in Port Angeles for local travel books
Where to Explore Nearby
- Salt Creek Recreational Area (Crescent Beach) – Great beach combing, surfing, hiking, paddling and WW2 bunkers.
- Freshwater Bay Park – Boat ramp, beach combing, swimming in summer
- Hurricane Ridge – Olympic National Park – high mountain road with epic views.
- Olympic Park – Elwha Access – Off the 101, see the Elwha River, a waterfall and upper dam site.
- Lake Crescent – Paddling, hiking and check out the historic Lake Crescent Lodge (food and drink options)
- Coastal beaches are 1.5 hours west of PA on Hwy 101 – Rialto Beach (Olympic NP)
- Todd Fischer Art Gallery and Studio at the Wharf in PA. (Todd Sponsored our Wanda Fuca race)
- Surf at Crescent Beach at Salt Creek Rec Area
- If the borders open, the Blackball Ferry to Victoria is a great ride and fun town to explore for a day or overnight.