Paddling Pool Sessions
Paddling is a naturally distanced activity. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water. All gear is always cleaned. Instructors are vaccinated.
Our Paddling Pool Sessions
Keep your kayaking and paddle boarding rescue skills fresh and learn new skills in warm water with our Fall and Winter Paddling Pool Sessions.
Learn how to efficiently get back into your kayak and/or help another paddler into theirs with our Kayak Rescue Class.
SUPs will learn how to rescue another paddler with the Flip Rescue with our SUP Basics 2 Class.
We’re working with Evergreen Pool in Burien near Seattle. Sessions thus far include March 12 & 26 – 3-5pm
What We’re Offering
- Kayak Rescue Class (4 people capacity each) with a ACA certified instructor.
- SUP Rescue Skills Class (4 people capacity) – with a PSUPA certified instructor
Covid-19: Due to being in an interior class environment, must show Proof of Vaccination or rapid negative test
Kayaking Rescue Class:
This kayaking rescue class will give you more confidence with your paddling knowing you can go further off shore, travel further and explore new places. This is also a great class if you need a refresher.
Our patient ACA certified kayak coaches will show you how to safely wet-exit and get back in your own boat using a variety of methods such as the Cowboy and Paddle Float Rescue. We will also show you how to help another paddler who can’t get in their boat using the T-Rescue and other easy to learn methods. Instructor Bios (Robert Nissenbaum, Scott Dahlquist)
Core Kayak Rescue Skills:
- How to outfit your boat to make it easier to work with for rescues
- We’ll discuss wet exits to make sure you’re exiting safely
- Learn how to re-mount your boat using the paddle float and cowboy and cowgirl rescue
- Find out how to rescue another kayaker using the T-Rescue, heel hook method and others.
- Learn how to rescue other water craft like SUPs and kite surfers.
- Find out how to get back on a sit on top kayak or surf ski if available
- What do you want to learn or improve?
Kayak Rolling – By Special Request
- Small class of 1-2 people
- Learn the basics of setting up for a roll and developing muscle memory
- Learn the set-up for a safe injury free roll
- Great refresher class too!
- If you have a roll, we’ll look at the re-entry and roll method
SUP Rescues Class
- Rescues – Flip rescue. Save a life with these skills and learn in warm water!
- Find out about other solo and assisted rescue options
- Great instructor skills training
- Learn how to inflate your Belt C02 PDF
- Remount Practice – Having difficulty climbing on your board? We can help!
- Learn how to prone, sit and kneel paddle for upwind, rough water and to rest your legs.
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SUP Students: Get access to my 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned in class. Get paddle trip check-lists and planning tips. (Value: $199)
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Or get Rob’s books: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
2022 Dates: March 12 & 26, 3-5pm
Location: Evergreen Pool / White Center
Who Should Take This Class? Kayakers and paddle boarders who have basic swim skills.
Duration: 2 hours
Capacity: 4 boats / 2 boards
Requirements: Must speak and/or understand English
Can’t Make These Classes? Check out our outdoor classes held all year. Toasty rental gear available
** Covid-19: Due to being in an interior class environment, must show Proof of Vaccination or rapid negative test
Note: Rates are higher than outdoors for cost of pool rental and lifeguard. And unlike other pool sessions we’re limiting to 8-10 boats/boards for a calm learning environment.
Kayak Rescues Class
(4 Students): 287 per person
+ Add Kayak Rental Gear: $20 each person – Sea Kayak, paddle, pump and skirt (we’ll need 24hrs notice)
SUP Rescues Class
(2 Students): 287 per person
+ Add SUP Rental Gear: $15 Stable board, paddle, leash and PFD (life vest).
“Today was awesome. I stepped way out of my comfort zone. That’s what took me so long to decide if I was driving or paddling. Once again, I thank the skills and confidence Robert gave me. I still don’t feel I could easily self rescue but where we paddled today I felt that even if I went in, I’d be okay.
6 months ago that wouldn’t have been the case. And I really appreciate your tip on my bent arms. It felt awkward to me, but I definitely felt the difference in power. I will use that next weekend when we paddle our 26 miles of Lake Cushman, so thank you!
“Salmon Bay Paddle is a great place to take kayak class. I learned from Robert in a private class
He helped me to advance a lot, especially in recovery techniques, strokers and many other things
He is a very devoted coach giving very helpful individualized instructions. Also he helped me a lot with selecting gear
I highly recommend Salmon Bay Paddle”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”