Paddle Board Tour on Freshwater Bay
Covid-19 Notice – In the current Phase 2, tours are held as Privates only and available for 1-5 people. Masks required on shore, social distancing on land and shore.
Available for SUP and Kayak
Imagine paddling below 300 foot cedar and madrone topped cliffs while exploring tucked away pocket beaches with sea caves and rich marine life. Welcome to my paddle board tour on Freshwater Bay.
Located west of Port Angeles, Freshwater Bay is on the north Olympic Peninsula along the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Whale Trail only three hours from Seattle.
Launching on the west side of the Freshwater Bay, we’ll start out by rounding a mussel and tide pool covered sea stack called Bachelor Rock.
With views of distant Vancouver Island and Mt Baker, we turn west to explore the beautiful coastal shoreline with interesting rocks, clear water for viewing sea life underfoot while spotting marine life such as harbor seals, bald eagles and an occasional sea otter.
The recently freed Elwha River empties into Freshwater Bay within view of our launch.
Alternatively, in calm conditions we can launch from Salt Creek Recreational Area 6 miles to the west. Learn more about this route in my book “Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans, 60 Trips” (Trip #41)
Pair this trip with a SUP surf class at nearby surfing beaches!
- The best gear for coastal SUP and kayak tours and trips
- How to read water with currents and wind to be more efficient on water
- Improve your directional control as we weave and wind into pocket beaches and around coastal features
- How to pack and outfit your board for coastal trips so you never leave anything behind
- How to forecast marine weather, tides and currents so you can plan your own trips
- Smart Route finding to save energy and stay safe
- On-water communication to keep you safe if paddling on your own
- How to paddle through coastal slots, surge channels and other tight spots
- Learn about rescue techniques so you can paddle to where you want to go safely
Skill Level – Intermediate paddlers whom are comfortable standing over small waves and can paddle 2-3 miles. Take my SUP Basics 2 to boost you skills for this tour
“I’ve had many SUP, surfing (and beyond) lessons world-wide but I haven’t found an expert in the area that compares to Rob’s level of quality experience, competency and teaching skills. Rob emphasizes safety first and caters to each individuals personal learning style in delivering quality instruction to paddlers of all levels. He truly went above and beyond and has set the bar extremely high for a business model that I hope to mirror. I will definitely return to him for further training.”