PNW Paddling & Surfing Resources
PNW Paddling & Surfing Resources for Tides, Marine Weather and Travel / Lodging – Scroll down to see where to find PNW surf and sup shops, tides, currents, wind and where to stay and eat.
Puget Sound Weather Links
- NOAA’s West Point / Discovery Park Station, Seattle
- NOAA Real Time Marine Weather & Forecasts, Puget Sound & NW Coast
- WSDOT, Puget Sound and Inland Weather. And Traffic, ferry and road webcams.
- WindAlert and Windy for real time wind and forecasts
Seattle Maritime Books and Marine Charts
- Captains Supply – Ballard (across from Maritime Pacific Brewery)
- Starpath – Online store by Seattle navigation expert and author David Burch
Pacific NW Tides & Currents
- Dairiki – PNW Tide Site – Local is more accurate
- Deception Pass Current Info
- Puget Sound Current Info
- Puget Sound, Strait & Coastal Tides
Washington Surf Forecast
Water Trails & Marine Parks
Boating Safety & Surf Etiquette
Recommended Paddling Gear from our Sponsors
- KAVU – Cool outdoor clothing manufacturer with stores in Seattle.
- Accent Paddles – Great SUP and Kayaking paddles.
- NorthWater Paddle Sports Gear – Tow ropes, leashes etc made in Vancouver BC
- NRS – I use their booties, gloves, tow ropes, scull caps, leashes etc.
- Splinter SUP – Stitch and glue performance wood paddle boards 12′-6, 14′, and 16′ lengths. Port Townsend based.
- MTI Adventure Wear – Lifejackets. Rob is a Safety Ambassador for MTI.
- Evo – Wetsuits and traditional surf accessories.
- NW Outdoor Center (NWOC) on Westlake in Seattle. Kayak and SUP. Great store.
- Urban Surf – Surf, kite and SUP shop, north end of Lake Union
- Kayak Academy – Kayak and some SUP stuff in Issaquah, WA
- Perfect Wave – Surf and SUP shop in Kirkland, owned by Hawaiians
Rob’s Books and Blog
- Salmon Bay Paddle BLOG – Rob shares his stoke for SUP with technique tips, product reviews and trip ideas.
- SUP Instructional Videos on YouTube – Rob’s YouTube Channel
- Stand Up Paddling: Flat Water to Surf and Rivers – the first and only comprehensive guide to the sport., with a foreword by Dave Kalama.
- Kayaking Puget Sound & The San Juan Islands – 60 paddling trips throughout Puget Sound, and the San Juan and Gulf Islands, including suggestions for stand up paddlers.
Where to Stay in Ballard
- VRBO in Ballard operated by one of our instructors, $119nt.
- Ballard Inn
- Hotel Ballard
- Nearby hotels (2-5 miles): Hotel Nexus, Silver Cloud, Residence Inn, Courtyard Marriott (Lake Union)
- Alternative Lodging: AirBnB Seattle, VRBO Seattle
Recommended Ballard Restaurants
- Seafood – Chinooks (Fishermen’s Terminal); Annex (oysters & fish); Lockspot, Ray’s Boathouse, Walrus & Carpenter (oysters).
- BBQ / Southern – Bitterroot, Bramling Cross
- Sushi – Several to choose from Here.
- Craft Beer / Drinks – All of the above. Also visit this link for a list of Ballard breweries.
- Pizza – Ballard Pizza, Patzi’s Pizza.
- Mexican – Matador, El Baracho, La Carta De Oaxaca, Senor Moose, El Camion (food truck)
- Ballard Dining Guide – Eat Ballard
Your Safety and Enjoyment is our Priority
“I've gone SUP on my own a few times but felt I might be lacking in some basics. I got a lesson from Rob and it exceeded my expectations by a long shot.
Not only does he give all the strokes you may need in various situations, I also learned about equipment, safety, tides and currents, how to transport and hold my board. Little things that made a huge difference because I'm prepared in every area. Now I can just concentrate on having fun when I hit the water."
"I learned not only how to improve my paddling skills but also how to read the water better, how to train more efficiently and most importantly not to forget to look up and enjoy being on the water.
If you are in the market for a lesson I would highly recommend Rob."
"Rob’s personalized instruction greatly improved my skills and gave me the confidence to become fully immersed in stand up paddling.
There are plenty of SUP classes out there, most with very large groups and not a lot of one-on-one time. Rob’s classes are small and customized to suit your specific needs and perfect for those who really want to learn the ins and outs of the Pacific NW’s perfect sport."