PNW Paddling & Surfing Resources
PNW Paddling & Surfing Resources for Tides, Marine Weather and Travel / Lodging – Scroll down to see where to find PNW surf and sup shops, tides, currents, wind and where to stay and eat.
Puget Sound Weather Links
- NOAA’s West Point / Discovery Park Station, Seattle
- NOAA Real Time Marine Weather & Forecasts, Puget Sound & NW Coast
- WSDOT, Puget Sound and Inland Weather. And Traffic, ferry and road webcams.
- WindAlert and Windy for real time wind and forecasts
Seattle Maritime Books and Marine Charts
- Captains Supply – Ballard (across from Maritime Pacific Brewery)
- Starpath – Online store by Seattle navigation expert and author David Burch
Pacific NW Tides & Currents
- Dairiki – PNW Tide Site – Local is more accurate
- Deception Pass Current Info
- Puget Sound Current Info
- Puget Sound, Strait & Coastal Tides
Washington Surf Forecast
Water Trails & Marine Parks
Boating Safety & Surf Etiquette
Recommended Paddling Gear from our Sponsors
- KAVU – Cool outdoor clothing manufacturer with stores in Seattle.
- Accent Paddles – Great SUP and Kayaking paddles.
- NorthWater Paddle Sports Gear – Tow ropes, leashes etc made in Vancouver BC
- NRS – I use their booties, gloves, tow ropes, scull caps, leashes etc.
- Splinter SUP – Stitch and glue performance wood paddle boards 12′-6, 14′, and 16′ lengths. Port Townsend based.
- MTI Adventure Wear – Lifejackets. Rob is a Safety Ambassador for MTI.
- Evo – Wetsuits and traditional surf accessories.
- NW Outdoor Center (NWOC) on Westlake in Seattle. Kayak and SUP. Great store.
- Urban Surf – Surf, kite and SUP shop, north end of Lake Union
- Kayak Academy – Kayak and some SUP stuff in Issaquah, WA
- Perfect Wave – Surf and SUP shop in Kirkland, owned by Hawaiians
Rob’s Books and Blog
- Salmon Bay Paddle BLOG – Rob shares his stoke for SUP with technique tips, product reviews and trip ideas.
- SUP Instructional Videos on YouTube – Rob’s YouTube Channel
- Stand Up Paddling: Flat Water to Surf and Rivers – the first and only comprehensive guide to the sport., with a foreword by Dave Kalama.
- Kayaking Puget Sound & The San Juan Islands – 60 paddling trips throughout Puget Sound, and the San Juan and Gulf Islands, including suggestions for stand up paddlers.
Where to Stay in Ballard
- VRBO in Ballard operated by one of our instructors, $119nt.
- Ballard Inn
- Hotel Ballard
- Nearby hotels (2-5 miles): Hotel Nexus, Silver Cloud, Residence Inn, Courtyard Marriott (Lake Union)
- Alternative Lodging: AirBnB Seattle, VRBO Seattle
Recommended Ballard Restaurants
- Seafood – Chinooks (Fishermen’s Terminal); Annex (oysters & fish); Lockspot, Ray’s Boathouse, Walrus & Carpenter (oysters).
- BBQ / Southern – Bitterroot, Bramling Cross
- Sushi – Several to choose from Here.
- Craft Beer / Drinks – All of the above. Also visit this link for a list of Ballard breweries.
- Pizza – Ballard Pizza, Patzi’s Pizza.
- Mexican – Matador, El Baracho, La Carta De Oaxaca, Senor Moose, El Camion (food truck)
- Ballard Dining Guide – Eat Ballard