SUP SurfingLearn SUP Surfing on the beautiful Washington Coast!
This SUP surfing class will prepare you to surf the beautiful Washington coast on your own. You’ll learn about the best surfing gear, choosing breaks, surf forecasting, paddling out, catching waves easier, walking on the board, directional control and falling safely.
Beginners will learn on small easy waves. Immediate surfers or those seeking a refresher have the possibility of starting on larger waves and/or learning at more technical breaks to challenge your new skills. Or learn how to surf our downwind, race and/or unlimited SUP.
At the end of this SUP surfing class you’ll have the confidence and skills to go out own your own and have fun!
Private classes only this year. Small class size so you learn more and stay safer in the surf zone. Bring your own gear or rent ours. Available all year.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to catch waves, wave selection and timing so you catch more waves.
- Find out how to vary your paddling cadence for catching more waves
- Footwork. Learn where to stand and when to walk your board for better control
- Paddling back out through incoming waves successfully
- How to turn around easily without falling off after a ride
- Stability skills in the surf zone so you stay up longer to catch more waves
- Falling safely and quick re-mounting in the surf zone
- Skills for turning down waves so you go where you want
- Wave and weather forecasting and tips for PNW breaks
- Where to surf in the PNW for your skill level
- Surfer’s etiquette and water safety
- Choosing the best gear and clothing for your budget and skill level
- Catching waves with minimum strokes to save energy and your shoulders!
- How to enjoy SUP surfing all year in the PNW.
- Learn how to surf your downwind or race board.
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll available after class to help you learn how to paddle in the Pass on your own and help with gear selection and more.
- Get free access to my SUP 102 Intermediate SUP online course. 24 Lessons plus our fav marine weather and tide/currents apps and resources. (Value: $199)
- Get free access to my SUP Rescues and Water Safety online course. Learn the Flip Rescue, stirrup for iSups, getting on your board and more. (Value: $197)
- Receive my Deception Pass Paddler’s Guide to help you plan your own trip to the Pass or in tidal current.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- Get 20% off any title at Mountaineers Books. Both of Rob’s books ‘Kayaking Puget Sound’ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers’ are published by Mountaineers Books
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Duration: 3-4 hours. Class Size: 1 – 3 people. Classes are kept small so you get more attention and safety in the surf zone.
Location: Strait of Juan de Fuca which is an easy day trip or overnight adventure from Seattle.
2021-2022 Schedule: Private Classes Only. Scheduling depends on your schedule and the tides and wave forecast. Let’s chat!
Prerequisites: Must have taken SUP Basics 2 or equivalent, be in good paddling shape, have basic swim skills and paddle regularly.
Group Class 3 – 6 students – 349 per person
2 Person Class: 439 per person
1-1: 729 Get most personalized training from a patient expert coach with a strong focus on safety.
+ RENTAL GEAR AVAILABLE:
- $15 – Stable board, deck bag, paddle, leash, optional Vest PFD.
- $15 – Toasty 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties. gloves, hood and optional helmet.
Rates not negotiable / Gratuities Welcome!
For a comprehensive 2 day experience, book a private SUP Surf Camp!
All my rental gear is cleaned after each use. Proper social distancing and masks will be used on land. Instructors are vaccinated.
“Rob’s knowledge of surfing, safety, and his overall SUP skills helped me advance through coaching and immediate feedback boosting my confidence and ability level. I’m hooked on SUPing! I would have locked in poor habits and likely injured my back or shoulders had I not taken a lesson in my first season of regularly paddling. Rob has years of experience and gladly passes on what he has learned for the safety and fun of all SUP enthusiasts who meet him.”
Excellent experience! Rob is not only extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of SUP, but also many other factors that will enhance your experience. Among these, safety on the water, PNW places to explore, history and culture of the sport, a laundry list of tips on how to enjoy the SUP lifestyle year round and a solid under standing of the natural elements (tides, swells, wind patterns, geological and hydrological features, etc).
He truly has a passion for the sport and demonstrates patience and expertise in his teaching. I recently took a SUP surfing class with him and in just 3 hours picked up a TON of things I can practice both in the surf and open water. I also had a lot of fun in during the lesson. Time spent with him will result in greater proficiency, more fun and a safe time on the water. Can’t recommend highly enough!
“I took the SUP Surfing class which not only got me surfing (which is the most fun ever!), but it gave me a new set of skills that keeps developing every time I get back in the water.”