SUP Basics 2
SUP Basics 2
SUP Basics 2 will make you faster, more stable and achieve your goals easier with finesse while staying injury free. This class can be customized to your goals and interests.
Learn how to paddle straight, turn easily, stay stable over boat wakes and learn how to walk the board and do pivot / buoy turn.
If you’re not sure if you’re a fit for SUP Basics 2 – You should be able to stand up on a board with no issues to be in this class and have basic directional control. If you’re a total beginner and have never stood up, then SUP Basics 1 is your class. If you’re still unsure, take SUP Basics 1 and we’ll work with where you’re at. We teach to each student individually at your level and go from there.
Note that this class doesn’t follow an exact curriculum. The class is designed to be customized to your interests, skill level!
This is a private 1-1 or two person lesson. Contact me to discuss your goals.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- Stroke Analysis – Refine your forward stroke. Paddle straighter with more power, less effort while minimizing injuries.
- Learn to prone, sit and kneel using powerful strokes helpful for paddling up wind.
- Buoy / pivot turns, crossbow, draw strokes and more so you’ll be in better control, easier.
- Footwork – Learn or refine your skills for walking on the board. Required for surfing and downwinding.
- Rescues – Flip rescue and towing. Save a life with these skills!
- Rough water skills – Waves, balance, paddling in current, wind and reverb. Learn how to have more fun.
- Focus on specific skills of interest to you such as downwinding, racing, boat wake surfing
- What do you want to learn or improve?
- Ballard Elks Lodge beach in Seattle. Alternative locations ok. Add travel fees for outside of Seattle.
After Class Extras
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to consult with you to find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
- Public Group Classes start in June
- Our ‘Private Classes’ include individual (1-1) or groups up to 4 people. Available all year.
- We don’t cancel for rain.
- Rental Gear available. See rates below. OK to bring your own gear including inflatable sups.
- Location: Shilshole Bay in Ballard / Seattle. Private classes can be held at a custom location. Travel fees for outside Seattle.
- Requirements: Must speak English and Know how to swim (the basics). Contact Orca Swim to learn.
2 Private Person Rate: 349 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 497
+ RENTAL GEAR IS FREE IN SEATTLE // No rentals for Olympic Peninsula classes
- We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable
- OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
- Rates are non-negotiable / Gratuities are always welcome.
“I took the SUP Basics 102 Course after corresponding with Rob Casey about my goals and experience with SUP. Having all of this amazing water to explore in my back yard, it is important to me that I do it safely. I rode home after the session – even more excited bout this sport than before. I was amazed how much we covered in our first session and I can’t wait to continue to take more lessons and classes from Salmon Bay Paddle. I drove home with a deep appreciation of the work that I need to l operate safely out on the water and a clear picture of what I need to do to get to my goals thanks to the recourses, experience gained in the Basics 102 session and his patient instruction. The class not only was informative but challenge me as well.”
“I had a bit of time in Seattle and signed up for this class having never done a class before. I was able to set my own time with Rob, the owner. In short, Rob is an excellent teacher. He was extraordinarily thorough and responsible about going over all the basics about skills and safety before we ever got out on the water.”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”