Kayaking Rescue Class
Kayaking Rescue Class
This kayaking rescue class will give you more confidence with your paddling knowing you can go further off shore, travel further and explore new places. This is also a great class if you need a refresher.
Our patient ACA certified kayak coaches will show you how to safely wet-exit and get back in your own boat using a variety of methods such as the Cowboy and Paddle Float Rescue. We will also show you how to help another paddler who can’t get in their boat using the T-Rescue and other easy to learn methods.
If time permits, we’ll give you tips for customizing your cockpit for a better fit and how to use braces which both help with being more stable on the water. We can provide toasty cold water clothing to make sure you’ll stay warm during the session.
Our classes cost more than the big crowded pool sessions as your patient expert instructors provide personalized attention to you in individual or small group classes.
Pool Class Sessions: For Winter we’re offering this class in warm pool sessions in Bremerton and in Seattle! Bremerton Pool – December 10 @ 11AM with Robert Nissenbaum – CLICK BOOK GROUP CLASS to save your spot.
Core Skills You’ll Get:
- How to outfit your boat to make it easier to work with for rescues
- We’ll discuss wet exits to make sure you’re exiting safely
- Learn how to re-mount your boat using the paddle float, cowgirl and cowboy rescue
- Find out how to rescue another kayaker using the T-Rescue, heel hook method and others.
- If you have a roll, we’ll look at the re-entry and roll method
- Learn how to rescue other water craft like SUPs and kite surfers.
- Find out how to get back on a sit on top kayak or surf ski.
- What do you want to learn?
Learn Kayak Rolling with our 4 session course
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Or get Rob’s books: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
- Schedule: Bremerton Pool – December 10 @ 11AM with Robert Nissenbaum – CLICK BOOK GROUP CLASS to save your spot.
- Seattle Jan & Feb pool class dates TBA. Private classes available with advanced notice.
- Locations: Bremerton and Seattle Pool Sessions in Winter / Spring-Summer @ the Ballard Elks Lodge beach
- Covid-19: We follow current State guidance. Instructors are vaccinated.
Public Group Classes (6 Students): 225 per person
2 Private Person Rate: 279 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 429
+ RENTAL GEAR IS FREE
- We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable
- OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
- Rates are non-negotiable / Gratuities are always welcome.
Rates are non-negotiable / Gratuities are always welcome.
Skill Prerequisites: Beginner to Advanced
You should know how to swim (the basics), have basic kayaking skills.
“I have had the great pleasure of having classes with Robert on back to back weekends. He is professional, friendly, and very skilled at this instruction. I’ll be back for classes over and over again.”
“I’ve taken a couple of rescue skills classes with Robert Nissenbaum of Salmon Bay Paddle. Robert is the perfect instructor. He is extremely experienced in his own right, and explains techniques in a way that even a novice kayaker can understand. He is very thorough and takes each students abilities into consideration. Even in a group class, each student is addressed individually at their own comfort level in a way that makes everyone feel equal. He doesn’t force you to do what you may not be comfortable with yet, and instead finds another skill to show you.
I know for me, the thought of a rescue class was very intimidating and I put it off for years. I’ve heard of many kayaking classes where it was a one-size-fits-all curriculum and that made me fearful to take a class. This is not how it is with Robert’s classes. I’m glad I found Robert and Salmon Bay Paddle to begin my skills training and look forward to future instruction.
I encourage and recommend that all my kayaking friends to take a class with Robert Nissenbaum or Rob Casey. Whether you’re a brand new kayaker or one with years of experience who needs some refresher training, Robert is the guy!”
“Thank you, Robert & Salmon Bay Paddle, for an outstanding class at Benson Lake! You provided exactly the safe and positive atmosphere I needed to test, reality check, and affirm my skills. I highly recommend this experience for new and experienced recreational kayakers, alike! I’m so thrilled to know that my kayak buddy and I can count on one another to perform assisted rescues. I’m ready to learn more!”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!