Coastal SUP Skills Training
Covid-19 Notice – Masks required on shore with social distancing. No masks on-water, we’ll stay 6′ from each other. All gear is always cleaned. Instructors vaxed.
Coastal SUP Skills Training
Imagine paddling below 300 foot cedar and madrone topped cliffs while exploring tucked away pocket beaches with sea caves and rich marine life unlike anything near Seattle.
Located west of Port Angeles on the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Whale Trail, we’ll paddling along beautiful, Freshwater or Crescent Bays, both an easy day trip from Seattle.
We’ll start out on shore going over essential gear and paddling clothing for safe paddling in coastal areas. We’ll discuss paddling with others, water safety and how to stay off the news. We’ll also determine the sea state and how that effects our goals and route.
If we launch at Crescent Bay, we will most likely paddle through the surf zone to open water. At Freshwater Bay , we protected water and enter the bay by rounding a mussel and tide pool covered sea stack called Bachelor Rock. We’ll see sea anemones, moon jellyfish, chitons, urchins and more!
With views of distant Vancouver Island and Mt Baker, we’ll explore coves with interesting rocks and super clear water for viewing sea life underfoot while spotting marine life such as harbor seals, bald eagles and an occasional sea otter.
Pair this trip with a SUP surf class at nearby surfing beaches! Lots of great camping and lodging nearby.
2022 Schedule: May 21, July 30, Sept 24
Core Skills Covered:
- Planning a coastal day trip so you can pick routes that fit your skill level and interests. Also pre-trip board/gear outfitting and repairs.
- Essential gear, clothing and food/hydration for your route and pre-trip gear checks
- Determining sea state so you can determine if your chosen route is a go or will you need to choose another route or option
- Launching and landing through coastal surf. We recommend pairing this class with our SUP Surfing or Kayak Surfing Classes.
- For Crescent Bay – looking at the surf zone, breaking through and landing in surf with loaded touring boards
- Freshwater and Crescent Bays – Crossing reef and rocky shoreline areas, rock gardening tips so you stay safe in rugged areas
- Paddling in dynamic water. The WA coast can be a mix of several types of paddling – downwinding, whitewater, surf and flat water touring!
- Paddling with whales and other coastal marine wildlife. Also cleaning of remote beaches of beach debris
- Rescues in dynamic water. Solid rescue skills will allow you to paddle further and to more remote areas safely
- Check this page for info on our online and in person Tides and Currents and Marine Navigation classes.
“I’ve had many SUP, surfing (and beyond) lessons world-wide but I haven’t found an expert in the area that compares to Rob’s level of quality experience, competency and teaching skills. Rob emphasizes safety first and caters to each individuals personal learning style in delivering quality instruction to paddlers of all levels. He truly went above and beyond and has set the bar extremely high for a business model that I hope to mirror. I will definitely return to him for further training.Rob at Salmon Bay Paddle is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor here in Seattle. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”
“Love all the the tips from Salmon Bay for paddling, performance, pain/injury prevention and relief. Not only do I personally use these, I keep them in my arsenal of advise for our customers to help improve their performance.”
“I’ve had many SUP, surfing (and beyond) lessons world-wide but I haven’t found an expert in the area that compares to Rob’s level of quality experience, competency and teaching skills. Rob emphasizes safety first and caters to each individuals personal learning style in delivering quality instruction to paddlers of all levels. He truly went above and beyond and has set the bar extremely high for a business model that I hope to mirror. I will definitely return to him for further training.”