LEARN TO KAYAK
Covid-19 Update: SBP is now open to individual and small groups to 4 people.
Private Classes Only for Phase 2
We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, recommended mask use on shore. All gear is always cleaned.
Learn to kayak so you can get great exercise with a view, find a perfect escape after work and explore our inland waterways and coastal areas throughout the year.
Puget Sound is home to the Cascadia Marine Water Trail which has over 75 paddle-in campsites and the NW has tons of lakes, rivers, and estuaries to explore.
This class will prepare you to paddle on your own and will give you the skills to wet exit, re-enter a kayak, stay stable, go over boat wakes and paddle efficiently and injury free. You’ll also learn about kayaks and accessories including clothing.
I can also help experienced kayakers get to the next level. Contact me if you want to work on specific skills.
Location: Shilshole Bay in Ballard or Agua Verde Paddle Club on Seattle’s Portage Bay.
Check out my book ‘Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands, 60 Trips‘
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to launch and land a kayak.
- Understanding kayak equipment and clothing.
- Learn how to wet exit with and without a skirt.
- Learn a powerful forward stroke requiring minimal effort
- Learn bomber stability skills to stay drier in rough water.
- Directional control including how to turn without a rudder.
- You’ll gain skills for paddling over boat and wind waves.
- How to re-enter the kayak with several methods including the paddle float.
- Paddling in wind – upwind, down and beam (side) winds if available.
- Learn kayak rescues including the T-rescue.
- How to outfit your kayak to hold your gear and accessories.
Contact me to book a class.
Skill Prerequisites: NONE
Beginner level. You have had no or limited experience on a board or have limited skills. You aren’t comfortable in bumpy water and/or have only paddled a few times. You should know how to swim.