Kayak Rolling Class
Covid-19 Update: SBP is open to individual and small groups for current Phase level. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, recommended mask use on shore. All gear is always cleaned. SBP instructors are vaccinated.
Kayak Rolling Class
This kayak rolling class will build your confidence and prepare you for paddling anywhere, especially in rough water and surf.
You will learn the combat roll from one of our patient expert coaches who will help with outfitting your boat for a better fit as well as teaching methods for building confidence for learning how to roll.
If you already have experience rolling and want to improve your skills and/or learn a combat roll for whitewater, tidal rapids and/or surf, we can help!
You’ll also improve your regular self-rescue skills in this class. Rolls don’t always work even for the best paddlers. Having a 100% solid backup plan is smart and to keep you off the news. The cowboy and cowgirl rescues will be covered to solidify your overall rescue / safety skills.
Location: Shilshole Bay in Seattle
We have toasty cold water paddling clothing rentals!
Your Instructor – Scott Dahlquist
Scott is comfortable on both kayak and SUP and has L3 IDW and ICE kayak certifications with ACA. A recent transplant from San Diego, Scott loves to teach navigation, kayak rolling, sea kayak surfing and exploring Puget Sound. He also teaches skiing, snow snowshoeing and mountain biking with a local outfitter. Scott is also on the Dagger Kayaks pro team.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- Find out how to outfit your kayak with a snug comfortable fit which is required for a successful roll
- Learn the building blocks of learning to roll which are essential for rolling
- Learn how to be comfortable upside down with one of our patient expert coaches
- Find out about different methods of rolling, there’s several methods!
- If you’re having difficulty learning to roll or struggling do so in a specific boat, we can help!
- If this is a refresher roll class for you or you want your off side we can get you back up to speed and rolling!
- Experienced paddlers can learn new methods of rolling including the essential re-entry and roll method
- Learn how to roll on both sides, which is very important in rough water
- Find how to do the combat roll for surf, rivers, high wind and tidal rapids.
Additional Skills You’ll Learn
- Cowboy and cowgirl self-rescues. Rolls can fail, having a 100% backup is essential for your safety.
Location: Ballard/Seattle on Puget Sound or pool in winter.
Duration: 4 – 1.5 Hour Days. Custom duration (below( for those seeking a refresher or off-side roll. Learn at your own pace.
Schedule: Contact me to schedule
Instructor to Student Ratio: 1:1 / 1:2 / 1:4
After Class Extras
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey or your instructor is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Or get Rob’s book: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound.’
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
RATES — You Have 2 Options:
1. One Session – You Just Need a Refresher or an Offside Roll (3hrs):
1 Person Session: (1-1): 399
2 Person Rate: 239 per person
Group Class (3-4 Students): 189 per person
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR:
$20 each person – Sea Kayak and skirt / $15 each person: Toasty 5/4mm or 4/3mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
2. You’re New to Rolling (Four 1.5 hour Sessions):
1 Person Session: (1-1): 1,399
2 Person Rate: 950 per person
Group Class (3-4 Students): 999 per person
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR:
Rates Per each 1.5 hr Session: $20 each person – Sea Kayak, paddle, pump and skirt. / $15 each person: Toasty 5/4mm or 4/3mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
Skill Prerequisites: Advanced Beginner thru Advanced
You should have basic swimming skills and be comfortable with your head underwater. You should know how to wet-exit and re-enter your kayak. You will be wearing a vest life jacket. We can supply all gear rentals which include toasty cold water paddling clothing and hoods.