Learn how we’re unique with our year round small group safety focused SUP, surf ski and kayaking instruction and adventures in the Pacific Northwest.
How We’re Unique
- Owner Rob Casey and his certified instructors will work with all body types, ages and skill levels from beginners to advanced ages 10 and up. Good balance or fitness not required but we can get you into shape!
- Strong focus on safety. Rob requires that all students wear a vest style lifejacket and leash. Rob and his instructors are trained in all aspects of paddling, rescue, marine weather and boating navigation so you have the best experience possible.
- We specialize in 1-1 and small group classes both public and private so you receive the most attention and highest level of instruction possible.
- High Instructor to Student Ratio. 1:4 for flat water and 1:4 or 2:4 for surf, river and open water classes and tours. Rob’s coaches assist on large classes to provide more safety and personalized instruction.
- Rob’s instructors are all PSUPA and L4-L5 ACA certified and each are competent in flat water to surf and rivers and/or tidal current.
- In addition, our instructors are certified in CPR/First Aid, Wilderness First Aid and some have other certifications.
- Rob is the author of two paddling guides by Mountaineers Books ‘Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans, 60 Trips‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.’
- Rob and his partner Christy started the Ballard Elks Monday Night Race Series in 2011 which donates proceeds to the Elks Scholarship Funds.
- Rob provides high quality equipment from Blackfish Paddles, Mustang Survival, Dagger Kayaks, Fanatic, Carbonology, NorthWater, RipCurl, O’Neill, NRS, ProMotion, Werner Paddles, NorthWater, and Gath helmets
- Salmon Bay Paddle is open most of the year. Fall, Winter and Spring all offer amazing paddling opportunities from paddle camping, flat water to surf and downwinding.
Unique Classes to Spectacular Places –
- Rob co-founded Freighter Surfing on Shilshole Bay in Seattle. We offer Freighter Surf classes Spring to early Fall.
- Find out how to safely paddle beautiful Deception Pass! It’s not as intimidating with our patient expert instructors.
- Become a SUP instructor through our PSUPA Instructor Training Certification courses. We also offer non-certification Trip Training and customized Staff Training for your business as well as Paddling Business Consulting.
- Learn how to SUP and kayak surf the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Washington coast
- We offer skill based tours in cool places with tidal current like Hammersley Inlet, Bremerton’s Port Washington Narrows, north Puget Sound and beyond.
- Open most of the year, we offer off season classroom training such as our popular Tides, Wind and Current class.
Alumni Benefits –
- Rob’s weekly newsletter provides SUP tips, Salish Sea environmental news and updates on classes and tours. Join the newsletter below.
- Our SBP alumni Facebook page is an opportunity for alumni to connect and to provide info on last minute clinics and paddles.
- Rob and his instructors add a personalized touch by following up each class with a Class Summary and tips for improvement after each class.
Pacific Northwest Environmental Support
- Rob has a strong environmental commitment supporting several organizations. These include Washington Water Trails Association, Puget SoundKeeper, Stand4GreatBear, Washington Coast Savers, Braided River, SR3 and the North Olympic Land Trust.
- Follow Rob’s SBP Instagram page @salmonbaypaddle which often profiles his Puget Sound and Strait of Juan de Fuca beach debris clean-ups.