Deception Pass SUP Class
Learn the basics of paddling tidal rapids in this Deception Pass SUP class. Saltwater tidal rapids will prepare you for paddling in rivers, surfing tidal rapids, downwinding and my annual Deception Pass Challenge race. You’ll also get essential skills for exploring Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands.
For many, Deception Pass looks scary and untouchable. I will share with you how to read the water, understand the currents and know when to be in the Pass for the best paddling and surfing. Local paddlers paddle the Pass to simulate open ocean conditions to train for channel crossing races and Hood River.
You’ll paddle with harbor seals, see bald eagles, possible orca sightings and enjoy majestic views of the San Juan Islands, Olympic Peninsula and on a clear day, Victoria BC.
Covid-19 Notice: Paddling is a naturally distanced activity and great for much exercise and fresh air. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, recommended mask use on shore. All gear is always cleaned.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to forecast marine weather, tides, and currents so you can plan your own trips to the Pass
- Learn to paddle with control and confidence in swift current and rough water
- Find out how to enter and leave current with ease so you’ll have more control in rapids
- You’ll learn how to ‘ferry’ across swift current to safely and quickly cross rivers of current
- Learn how to surf boat wakes which get super fun in the Pass!
- Find out about downwinding possibilities in the Pass. Imagine all that current going with or against wind.
- Learn how to paddle over boils, mild whirlpools, upwellings and through kelp beds
- I’ll help you choose the best best gear for river paddling so you stay warm and comfortable
- If conditions are right, we’ll surf standing waves in the Pass!
- Paddling the Pass will help you have the skills to plan trips on Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and beyond
Bonus Mini DP Guide sent to all students after class explaining currents, best apps, how it works in the Pass so you can paddle there on your own. Also join our FB Alumni Group and be get Alumni Discounts going forward.
Schedule: April17 / May 15 / June 12, etc.. Private lessons available anytime on your schedule.
Duration: 4 hrs. We’ll take breaks on beautiful protected pocket beaches.
Skill Level: **Must be a solid Intermediate level and be comfortable paddling in rough water, boat and wind waves, can swim and know how get back on a board.
Bringing Your Own Gear? No slim race boards! Recommend 27″ and wider. I require a Vest PFD, helmet and full wet or drysuit. Booties and gloves recommended for walking on rocky beaches.
Group Class 3 – 6 students – 157 per person
2 Person Class: 249 per person
1-1: 549. Get personalized training from a patient expert coach with a strong focus on safety.
+ RENTAL GEAR AVAILABLE:
- $20 – Stable board, deck bag, paddle, leash, Vest PFD.
- $20 – Toasty 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties. gloves, hood and helmet.
“Rob and Harry are outstanding SUP instructors. They know the paddle board industry and are willing to share there knowledge to make you better. Rob excels in the technical areas and his teaching provides insight in helping you increase your skills. I have taken the instructor training and the Deception Pass’s tidal rapids class and both experiences were outstanding. The classes were held in epic places in the PNW. Salmon Bay Paddle will make you a better paddler and you will have a good time doing it!!”