Deception Pass Kayak Training
SBP is now open to individual and small groups (4p max) people.
Paddling is a naturally distanced activity and great for much exercise and fresh air. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, recommended mask use on shore. All gear is always cleaned.
Learn the basics of river paddling in this surf ski class in Deception Pass State Park. Saltwater tidal rapids will prepare you for paddling in swift current, surfing tidal rapids, downwinding and the Deception Pass Challenge. You’ll also get skills for exploring Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands.
For many, Deception Pass looks scary and untouchable. I will share with you how to read the water, understand the currents and know when to be in the Pass for the best paddling and surfing. Local paddlers paddle the Pass to simulate open ocean conditions to train for channel crossing races and Hood River.
You’ll paddle with harbor seals, see bald eagles, possible orca sightings and enjoy majestic views of the San Juan Islands, Olympic Peninsula and on a clear day, Victoria BC.
After a safety talk, we’ll launch from Bowman Bay, portaging into Lottie Bay, then entering Canoe Pass at slack or the beginning of the ebb.
You’ll learn river kayaking skills in tidal rapids underneath the Deception Pass Bridge!
Once you’re comfortable with basic river skills we’ll float down the current around Lighthouse Point and explore a sea cave and kelp beds, returning to Bowman Bay.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to forecast marine weather, tides, and currents so you can plan your own trips to the Pass
- Learn to paddle with control and confidence in swift current and rough water
- Learn how to surf boat wakes which get big when bucking current in the Pass!
- Find out about downwind possibilities in the Pass.
- Learn River kayak skills – peeling in/out of current, ferrying, and remounts in current and wind
- I’ll help you choose the best best gear for river paddling so you stay warm and comfortable
- If conditions are right, we’ll surf standing waves in the Pass!
- Paddling the Pass will help you have the skills to plan trips on Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and beyond