Deception Pass Challenge
Deception Pass Challenge – Dec 11, 2021
We’re going back to the original course starting in Bowman Bay! Beat the ebb at Pass Island. Starts at 9:15 AM
- Launch adjacent to the dock in Bowman Bay approx 20 min before slack (before ebb)
- Counter clockwise around Deception Island
- Through main Pass to beat the ebb at the Crux on SE corner of Pass Island
- CC around Strawberry Island (Watch for kelp)
- Down Canoe Pass
- Clockwise around Deception Island
- Back to Bowman Bay finishing adjacent to dock
Approx 6.15 miles. Thanks to Jason Park and Patrick Hwang for testing the course.
Donate to the Skagit Search and Rescue who will be providing safety boats
Sponsored by Hammer Nutrition!
Start Protocol for Current Phase Guidance:
Will Update for Fall 2021 Guidance
VERY IMPORTANT – Covid-19 Safety Measures in Place.
- Per State Guidelines we will have a Covid-19 sanitation and hand cleaning station at the start.
- Masks will be required to be worn in the parking lot and shore areas and by safety crew on-water when in close contact with participants.
- You will be assigned a start time for your heat. Aside from the first (slower craft heat), all heats will be set by type of water craft.
- Please follow our onsite guidelines to stay distanced on shore and when entering the water. Stay clear of the start area if your heat isn’t immediately.
- Do not attend if you’re feeling sick and/or have a temp. No refund permitted if so.
Who Should Attend
- Open to all human powered paddling craft – Row, SUP, kayak, surf ski, outrigger, prone, peddle.
- Advanced paddlers who are familiar paddling in tidal rapids at Deception Pass.
- Must be able to finish course in 3 hours.
- Seeking experienced Safety Boaters to be stationed along the course. Must know how to use a VHF and can rescue in rough water.
- Following Phase 3 Guidelines
Terms and Conditions – NOTE regardless off circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued
- Tickets cannot be transferred without confirming with DP registration.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year.
- Masks and distancing are required on shore. Non-maskers (on shore) will be disqualified
Photos from Ivan Storck
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER 2021 RACES:
- Past: Seattle Race Series – 5 Bridges Race – Jan 17, 2021
- Feb 27 – Elks Crossing Benevolent Benefit to help the Ballard Elks Lodge. 6 miles.
- March 28 – Seattle Race Series – ‘Link the Lakes’ to Webster Point, RT
- April 24 – Deception Pass Challenge Spring Race – New Course to Hope Island RT
- May 8 – Hammer the Inlet on Hammersley Inlet in South Puget Sound (10m with current)
- June 13 – Wanda Fuca Downwinder, Port Angeles – 10am. (13.5 miles)
- Sept 18 – Lake Crescent Downwinder (8-10m)
OTHER PNW 2021 RACES SERIES
Ballard Elks Paddling Club – Summer Monday Night Fundraiser Series