Deception Pass Challenge Spring 2021 Race
Deception Pass Challenge Spring 2021 Race Details
The DP Challenge Spring Race – New Course..
April 24th –
Start at Cornet Bay at the end of the flood. Race east to Ala Point then around Hope Island, then between Skagit and Kiket Islands, return to Cornet Bay on the ebb.
Heats start at 1:45pm
Start Protocol for Phase 2:
Following current WA State Outdoor Rec Phase 2 Guidelines, we are allowed to launch a wave of 10-15 racers every minute for 200 racers. But.. Since 200 racers will be nuts to properly distance in the parking lot we are sticking to 100 this year. Slowest craft start first.
VERY IMPORTANT – Covid-19 Safety Measures in Place.
- Per State Guidelines we will have a Covid-19 sanitation and hand cleaning station at the start.
- Masks will be required to be worn in the parking lot and shore areas and by safety crew on-water when in close contact with participants.
- You will be assigned a start time for your heat. Aside from the first (slower craft heat), all heats will be set by type of water craft.
- Please follow our onsite guidelines to stay distanced on shore and when entering the water. Stay clear of the start area if your heat isn’t immediately.
- Do not attend if you’re feeling sick and/or have a temp. No refund permitted if so.
- Life jackets required to be worn by all participants. Leashes as well for SUPs. Recommend a reliable communication device and hi-vis colors.
Who Should Attend
- Open to all human powered paddling craft – Row, SUP, kayak, surf ski, outrigger, prone, peddle.
- Advanced paddlers who are familiar paddling in tidal currents. *See Participant Requirements below. Must know how to swim.
- Must be able to finish course in 2 hours.
- Seeking experienced Safety Boaters (power or paddle) to be stationed along the course. Must know how to use a VHF and can rescue in rough water.
- Per Phase 2 Guidelines, no spectators at the starting line area for distancing.
- Open to most human powered paddling and rowing craft. Not allowed: Kayaks and SUPs under 12′.
- All racers are required to have onboard a vest style life jacket. PFDs required to be worn in wind over 15 knots.
- SUPs are additionally required to wear a waist leash.
- All participants must know how to swim and be in good physical shape.
- Hi-vis colors recommended so you can be easily seen by our safety staff and boaters.
- If wind is 15 knots or stronger, paddling helmets recommended for cliff and reef areas. Rentals available via pre-reservation.
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
Learn how the Pass works before you start the race. Find out there the best eddies are, when to take advantage of current, how to paddle over boils, eddy lines and whirlpools, how to surf waves or boat wakes and how to train for the race. Open to all craft. LEARN MORE
DP Class Dates: Jan 9, Feb 6, March 6, April 17
Seeking Volunteers and Safety Boats
Safety Boat/Board Requirements
- You must have considerable experience paddling in Deception Pass currents
- Carry and know how to use a VHF radio and tow system.
- Have strong self and group rescue skills.
- Hi-vis clothing, helmet and vest PFD.
Located 1.5 hours north of Seattle (no ferry), Deception Pass is between Anacortes and Oak Harbor. TBA
Lodging / Travel Info
There’s ample lodging in Oak Harbor and Anacortes nearby. ‘DP’ is a 1.5 hour drive in good traffic from Seattle with no ferry required