Weekly SUP Race Training
Weekly SUP Race Training
Weekly SUP race training twice a week – all year – from Salmon Bay Paddle coaches who will train you to be more efficient, faster and injury free.
Each session will focus on a different training area whether it be buoy turns, starts, sprints, interval training, rough water, downwinding or simply improving your forward stroke.
Sessions will be held on either upper Salmon Bay (freshwater) or at the Ballard Elks beach. We have toasty rental gear for colder days in Fall and Winter.
We’ll follow up each session with personal improvement tips, and info on nutrition, hydration, training plans and goal setting!
How it Works
Join for single sessions or sign-up for 8 hour and half sessions and learn at your own pace from our patient coaches who are safety focused and there to help you get to your next level.
We need 3 people min to run a session, so tell your friends!
Gear rentals available per session.
Wednesdays at 7:30am and some Sundays at 8:30am – Contact us to sign up for one or both
Core Skills You’ll Learn
- Body alignment/ compensations
- Stroke technique and skill development/ refinement
- How to train and race efficiently, training drills, training plans and goal setting
- Rough water training. Learn to take advantage of rough water and be able to handle any conditions
- Recovery and injury prevention, nutrition/ hydration, mental preparation and sports psychology, other off water tips
- Technical race skills and strategy including buoy turns, beach starts, pacing, drafting, overtaking, sprinting, and awareness of self and environment in the moment during a race.
- Our coaches race for the same reasons as everyone else – to train for fun, efficiency, skill refinement, and as a habitual practice of care and connection to the earth and ocean
- Lastly, this series will motivate you to paddle all year and meet like minded paddlers!
Learn more about Salmon Bay Paddle’s patient coaches. Some have completed distance races like the Seventy48 while others focus on regular race events. Each bringing their own style and helpful training tips and experience.
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- Get access to my 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned in class. Get paddle trip check-lists and planning tips. (Value: $199)
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title or Rob’s books! ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Capacity: 8-10 people
Prerequisites: Must be an advanced beginner or above. Take our SUP Basics 1 class if a total beginner or it’s been awhile since you’ve paddled.
Location: Shilshole Bay or upper Salmon Bay in Ballard / Seattle
Requirements: Must speak English and know how to swim (the basics). Contact Orca Swim to learn.
Duration: These are 2x weekly 1.5 hour sessions. One weekday and one weekend morning – do one or both!
See your Student Benefits Above…
Group Classes (Per 1.5 hr Session): 99 per person
Package of 8 – 1.5 hour sessions: 799 per person (Completed in 2 months)
Package of 16 – 1.5 hour sessions: 1,744 per person (Completed in 3 months)
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR:
- $15 stable 14′ board, Blackfish paddle, deck bag, leash and PFD (life vest). $15 – 4/3mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
- We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable.
- Ok to Use Your Own Gear – It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class, rent or demo students gear first.
“They were so good last year. Always love working on skills.”
“I had a bit of time in Seattle and signed up for this class having never done a class before. I was able to set my own time with Rob, the owner. In short, Rob is an excellent teacher. He was extraordinarily thorough and responsible about going over all the basics about skills and safety before we ever got out on the water.”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”