SUP with your Dog
Paddling is a naturally distanced activity. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water. All gear is always cleaned. All instructors are vaccinated.
SUP with your Dog
SUP with your Dog will give you step by step instruction on how to safely and comfortably paddle board with your dog.
Your instructor, Scott Dahlquist will work with you and your dog and your paddling skill level so you’ll have a successful experience to paddle on your own.
We’re super safety focused requiring vest and dog PFDs, leashes (for paddler) and wetsuits so you’ll have less worry about getting wet in class.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to prepare your dog for being comfortable on your board
- Balance Skills for you and your dog to stay dry!
- Outfitting your Board for your dog so you’ll both be comfortable while paddling
- Water Safety skills for paddling on PNW waters to keep you off the news
- Where to Paddle with your Dog – Find out about ideal places for paddling your pooch
- Paddle Camping with your pup
- What do you want to learn or improve or learn?
After Class Extras
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- Get access to our 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned and class and many more techniques! Get paddle trip check-lists and planning tips.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Or get Rob’s books: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Prerequisite: Our SUP Basics 1 or SUP Basics 2 classes or equivalent skill level. You should be able to stand up with no problem, turn with ease and remount your board. And have basic swimming skills.
Duration: This is a 3 hour class / Rentals available
Location: Ballard Elks Beach, Shilshole Bay / Seattle, WA
Next Classes: TBA, (September – December)
Requirements: Must speak English and Know how to swim (the basics). Contact Orca Swim to learn.
Private or Public Group Classes (3-4 Students): 189 per person
2 Person Rate: 239 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 399
We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable.
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR: $15 stable board, paddle, deck bag, leash and PFD (life vest). $15 – 4/3mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
“I had a bit of time in Seattle and signed up for this class having never done a class before. I was able to set my own time with Rob, the owner. In short, Rob is an excellent teacher. He was extraordinarily thorough and responsible about going over all the basics about skills and safety before we ever got out on the water.”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”