Surf Camp on the Washington Coast
In our SUP surf camp you’ll learn how to paddle board surf in Washington State. In two and a half days you’ll learn how to read waves, determine which beach is best for your skill level, which gear to buy and how to catch and successfully ride waves.
Surfing takes time to master and quality water time with our expert yet patient coaches will help you get there. 100% of our students catch waves on their first day.
Our individualized personable coaching will allow you to learn at your own pace. Coach to student ratio 1:3. We teach to your skill level and will break the class into two groups for different skill levels.
Find out how to surf different breaks on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, only 3 hours from Seattle.
Camp next to beautiful wilderness beaches, rent a cabin or stay in Port Angeles. A great escape, bring the family. Lots of beach walks, bicycling, scenic drives and local hikes in nearby Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park. Private camps only during Covid-19
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to catch waves, wave selection and timing so you catch more waves.
- Find out how to vary your paddling cadence for catching more waves
- Footwork. Learn where to stand and when to walk your board for better control
- Paddling back out through incoming waves successfully
- How to turn around easily without falling off after a ride
- Stability skills in the surf zone so you stay up longer to catch more waves
- Falling safely and quick re-mounting in the surf zone
- Skills for turning down waves so you go where you want
- Wave and weather forecasting and tips for PNW breaks
- Where to surf in the PNW for your skill level
- Surfer’s etiquette and water safety
- Choosing the best gear and clothing for your budget and skill level
- Catching waves with minimum strokes to save energy and your shoulders!
- How to enjoy SUP surfing all year in the PNW.
- Learn how to surf your downwind or race board.
Sample Surf Camp Schedule
- Friday – 6:00-9pm – We meet, discuss our goals for the weekend then hit the water to access everyone’s ability.
- Saturday – 7:30am – Discussion of surf basics, etiquette, safety and equipment.
- 8:00 – 10:00am – Learn to paddle out, find the line-up, and look for and surf waves.
- 10:00am – We’ll take a break and discuss what you’ve learned thus far.
- 10:30am – Learn turning and anything you want to improve from your morning session.
- Noon – Lunch.
- 1:00-3:00pm – Continue to work on new skills and how to catch waves easier.
- 3:00pm – Break to discuss the afternoon thus far.
- 3:30-5pm – Surf till end of day.
- 6-7pm – Optional distanced group dinner at beach or in town and review of day’s class.
- 8-9:00pm – Optional group discussion on surf forecasting.
- Sunday – 7:30am to Noon – Review of Saturday’s skills
- Noon – Lunch.
- 1pm – 5pm free surf with light instruction.
Private camps only. Available all year.
Capacity: 2-5 people. Instructor to Student Ratio 1:3
Location: Strait of Juan de Fuca (Several great surfing beaches, lodging and close to Seattle.)
Lodging Info: Hotels in Port Angeles; Picturesque camping and RV in Salt Creek Rec Area; AirBnb & VRBO.
Surf Camp Rates
$499 per person
ADD RENTAL GEAR: $20 per day: stable board, paddle, deck bag, leash and PFD (life vest) / $15 per day: 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
SBP Alumni Rate: $30 off per person
Meals and lodging not included
Skill Prerequisites: Advanced beginner and above.
You have taken our SUP Basics 2 class or you can paddle straight, turn easily, fall and climb back on without any problem. You are also comfortable paddling on bumpy water from boat wakes and/or wind. You have basic swimming skills. We recommend paddling often before camp to be paddling shape.