SUP Surf Camp on the Washington Coast
Our SUP surf camp will give you the skills surf on your own on the Washington Coast. In two days you’ll learn how to read waves, determine which beach is best for your skill level, which gear to buy and how to catch and successfully ride waves.
The sup surf camp takes place at Hobuck Beach on the Makah Indian Reservation on the very NW corner of Washington State. This place is epic!
Surfing takes time to master and quality water time with our expert yet patient coaches will help you get there. 100% of our students catch waves on their first day.
Our individualized personable coaching will allow you to learn at your own pace. Coach to student ratio 2:4 / 2:6. We teach to your skill level and will break the class into two groups for different skill levels.
Camp next to beautiful wilderness beaches or rent a cabin. A great escape, bring the family. Lots of beach walks, bicycling, scenic drives and local hikes at Shi Shi Beach in nearby Olympic National Park.
In case of Covid Date Change? – Right now (Spring 2022) Hobuck is open after 2 years. If another variant requires closure at Hobuck, we’ll move the camp to Crescent Beach by Port Angeles.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to catch waves, wave selection and timing so you catch more waves.
- Find out how to vary your paddling cadence for catching more waves
- Footwork. Learn where to stand and when to walk your board for better control
- Paddling back out through incoming waves successfully
- How to turn around easily without falling off after a ride
- Stability skills in the surf zone so you stay up longer to catch more waves
- Falling safely and quick re-mounting in the surf zone
- Skills for turning down waves so you go where you want
- Wave and weather forecasting and tips for PNW breaks
- Where to surf in the PNW for your skill level
- Surfer’s etiquette and water safety
- Choosing the best gear and clothing for your budget and skill level
- Catching waves with minimum strokes to save energy and your shoulders!
- How to enjoy SUP surfing all year in the PNW.
- Learn how to surf your downwind or race board.
- Bonus Take Home Material – Our online guide to surf forecasting and tips for PNW beaches.
SUP Surf Camp Schedule:
June 4-5 / July-Aug / Sept-Oct TBA
- 8am – Quick discussion of surf basics, surf safety, wave reading, surf etiquette, safety and equipment.
- 8:30 – 10:00am – Learn to paddle out, find the line-up, and look for and surf waves with help from our instructors
- 10:00am – We’ll take a break and discuss what you’ve learned thus far.
- 10:30am – Continue learning, adding turning and anything you want to improve from your morning session.
- Noonish – Lunch
- 1:00-3:00pm – Continue to work on new skills and how to catch waves easier.
- 3:00pm – Break to discuss the afternoon thus far.
- 3:30-5pm – Surf till end of day.
- 6-8pm – Optional group dinner at beach or in town and review of day’s class.
- 8:00am to Noon – On-water review of Saturday’s skills while adding new skills!
- Noonish – Lunch
- 1pm – 5pm free surf with instruction. Camp ends.
Who Should Attend?
- You should be comfortable standing up in bumps, on small waves and have experience paddling in wind.
- Ability to paddle straight, turn easily and walk on your board. Take our SUP Basics 2 class to get these skills.
- You should have a 100% reliable remount
- Have basic swim skills
- You should be in moderate shape as surfing does require a lot of paddling
- Ok to bring your surf style, all-a-rounder (rigid or inflatable) or stable touring / racing boards.
Must be vaccinated to enter the Makah Reservation – There’s a checkpoint at the entry.
Location: Hobuck Beach at Neah Bay, NW corner of WA State. Alternative location for any Covid changes: Crescent Beach by Port Angeles.
Camp Capacity: 6 people. Instructor to Student Ratio 2:4 / 2:6
Rentals Available or Bring your own gear. We recommend using your own gear to learn how to surf it and use it better.
Meals and lodging not included
Check out my Neah Bay Travel Guide
LODGING: **IMPORTANT LODGING BOOKING INFO: **
Use this link to view lodging options at Hobuck Beach Resort. CALL to book (No online booking, see below)
- Cabins @ Hobuck Beach: Call and book a cabin ASAP @ Hobuck Beach Resort where the camp will be held, (Tel: 360-645-2339) No online reservations. Cabins have wi-fi.
- Camping @ Hobuck Beach: Campers don’t need to book a reservation, first come and served. Camping is in a big open field or forested areas with restrooms, showers and wifi hook-up.
- Other Neah Bay hotels, and the waterfront Bullman Bay Inn on the edge of the reservation.
SUP Surf Camp Rates
609 per person – Camp capacity: 8 people
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR: $15 per day: stable board, paddle, leash / $15 per day: 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, hood, booties, gloves, optional helmet.
Rates are non-negotiable / Gratuities Welcome
Skill Prerequisites: Advanced beginner and above.
You have taken our SUP Basics 2 class or you can paddle straight, turn easily, fall and climb back on without any problem. You are also comfortable paddling on bumpy water from boat wakes and/or wind. You have basic swimming skills. We recommend paddling often before camp to be paddling shape.
“If you’re an experienced paddler and want to bump up your skill base, or just starting out, I highly recommend taking a class/es from Salmon Bay. I’ve been paddling for over 2 years and decided it was time to try surfing–I’m so glad I did. I took a basics class from Rob last year which really improved my understanding of the sport, and then a few weeks ago I took the SUP Surfing class which not only got me surfing (which is the most fun ever!), but it gave me a new set of skills that keeps developing every time I get back in the water..”