SUP Race Training
Paddling is a naturally distanced activity. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water. All gear is always cleaned. All instructors are vaccinated.
SUP Race Training
Your instructor Marius Lina will work with you to be come faster, more efficient and learn how to paddle injury free.
He will determine where everyone’s skill level is and work with you at your level. Marius strives to balance group clinics on what will suit both the group and individuals during the session.
Check out our Weekly SUP Training for Fall & Winter – Weekday mornings, 7:30am 2x a week.
Core Skills You’ll Learn
- Body alignment/ compensations
- Stroke technique and skill development/ refinement
- How to train and race efficiently, training drills, training plans and goal setting
- Recovery and injury prevention, nutrition/ hydration, mental preparation and sports psychology, other off water tips
- Technical race skills and strategy including buoy turns, beach starts, pacing, drafting, overtaking, sprinting, and awareness of self and environment in the moment during a race.
- Marius still races for the same reasons as everyone else: I train for fun, efficiency, skill refinement, and as a habitual practice of care and connection to the earth and ocean
About Your Instructor, Marius Lina
Marius owned and operated a popular sup and kayak school in New Zealand before moving to the PNW. He also coached surf ski and sup and competed in paddle board races nationally and internationally for many years. Marius is a top racer in the Seattle area.
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- Get access to our 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned and class and many more techniques! Get paddle trip check-lists and planning tips.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Get Rob’s books! ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Next Class: Late Sept, TBA – 10am in Ballard/Seattle. Also available as a private lesson.
Capacity: 6 people
Location: Shilshole Bay in Ballard / Seattle.
Requirements: Must speak English and Know how to swim (the basics). Contact Orca Swim to learn.
Duration: This is a 3 hour class on land and water.
Private or Public Group Classes (3-4 Students): 169 per person
2 Person Rate: 239 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 399
We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable.
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR: $15 stable board, paddle, deck bag, leash and PFD (life vest). $15 – 4/3mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
“I had a bit of time in Seattle and signed up for this class having never done a class before. I was able to set my own time with Rob, the owner. In short, Rob is an excellent teacher. He was extraordinarily thorough and responsible about going over all the basics about skills and safety before we ever got out on the water.”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”