SUP Basics 2
Paddling is a naturally distanced activity. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water. Masks on-shore. All gear is always cleaned. All instructors are vaccinated.
SUP Basics 2
Ready to go to the next level? Then SUP Basics 2 is for you. We will make you faster, more stable and achieve your goals easier with finesse while staying injury free. This class can be customized to your goals and interests.
If you’re not sure if you’re a fit for SUP Basics 2 – you should be able to stand up with no issues to be in this class. If you’re a total beginner, then SUP Basics 1 is your class. If you’re still unsure, take SUP Basics 1 and we’ll work with where you’re at. We teach to each student individually at your level and go from there.
Note that this class doesn’t follow an exact curriculum. The class is designed to be customized to your interests, skill level!
Duration: This is a 3 hour class / Rentals available / Location: Ballard Elks Beach, Shilshole Bay / Seattle, WA
Next Classes: Sept 12th (11am) with Suzanne – in Ballard/Seattle. *Inquire about future group classes. We’re open all year.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- Stroke Analysis – Refine your forward stroke. Paddle straighter with more power, less effort while minimizing injuries.
- Never taken a formal SUP class? You’ll leave with solid skills to paddle more confidently on your own!
- Learn to prone, sit and kneel using powerful strokes helpful for paddling up wind.
- Buoy / pivot turns, crossbow, draw strokes and more so you’ll be in better control, easier.
- Footwork – Learn or refine your skills for walking on the board. Required for surfing and downwinding.
- Rescues – Flip rescue and towing. Save a life with these skills!
- How to read water which will allow you paddle more efficiently. Paddle smarter not harder.
- Rough water skills – Waves, balance, paddling in current, wind and reverb. Learn how to have more fun.
- Focus on specific skills of interest to you such as downwinding, racing, boat wake surfing
- What do you want to learn or improve?
After Class Extras
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- Get access to my 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned in class. Get paddle trip check-lists and planning tips. (Value: $199)
- Get free access to my SUP Rescues and Water Safety online course. Learn the Flip Rescue, towing, getting on your board and more. (Value: $197)
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title or my books: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Public Group Class (3-4 people): Sept 4th (10am) with Suzanne – in Ballard/Seattle. *Inquire about future group classes.
*All other classes are Private individual (1-1) or groups to 4 people capacity. Larger groups 4+ require a second instructor.
Location: Shilshole Bay in Ballard / Seattle. Private classes can be held at a custom location. Travel fees for outside Seattle.
Requirements: Must speak English and Know how to swim (the basics). Contact Orca Swim to learn.
Private or Public Group Classes (3-4 Students): 189 per person
2 Person Rate: 239 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 399
We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable.
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR: $15 stable board, paddle, deck bag, leash and PFD (life vest). $15 – 4/3mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
“I had a bit of time in Seattle and signed up for this class having never done a class before. I was able to set my own time with Rob, the owner. In short, Rob is an excellent teacher. He was extraordinarily thorough and responsible about going over all the basics about skills and safety before we ever got out on the water.”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”