Paddling is a naturally distanced activity. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water. All gear is always cleaned. All instructors are vaccinated.
Night Paddling Training
Our night paddling training will give you the skills and confidence to safely paddle on your own at night on PNW waterways!
Night paddling is an amazing experience and a whole different perspective on exploring Puget Sound and our lakes.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- Reading Boat Lights – Night paddling requires knowing rec and commercial boat lights at night
- Situational Awareness – Learning to be aware of the sounds and visual things going on around you
- Balance at Night – Night paddling can be confusing, learn how to feel in control and feel balanced.
- Currents and Waves – Find out how to paddle in current at night and even surf freighter waves if available!
- Water Safety – Learn about lights, reflectors, group communication, being seen and staying off the news.
- Flip rescue and towing. Save a life with these skills!
- How to read water which will allow you paddle more efficiently. Paddle smarter not harder.
- Basic Navigation – It’s easy to lose your way at nght. We’ll help you stay on trac and plan trips.
- Doing the 7048 or WA360? Christmas Parade? Customize your class to your interests.
- What do you want to learn or improve?
After Class Extras
- Instructor Follow-up After Class – We’ll send you a summary of skills you learned in your lesson as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- Get access to our 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned and class and many more techniques! Get paddle trip check-lists and planning tips.
- You’ll able to join our Facebook Alumni Group to continue learning and for connecting with other paddlers.
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title. Or get Rob’s books: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
Public Group Class (3-4 people) – Next Classes: TBA in Ballard/Seattle
Larger groups 4+ require a second instructor.
Location: Shilshole Bay or upper Salmon Bay (a lake) in Ballard / Seattle. Private classes can be held at a custom location. Travel fees for outside Seattle.
Requirements: Must speak and understand English
Private or Public Group Classes (3-4 Students): 189 per person
2 Person Rate: 239 per person
Individual Rate (1-1): 399
We recommend wetsuits and booties even in Summer as the Sound doesn’t really warm up. Our suits are toasty warm, flexible and comfortable.
+ ADD RENTAL GEAR: $15 stable board, paddle, deck bag, leash and PFD (life vest). $15 – 4/3mm wetsuit, hood, booties & gloves.
OK TO USE YOUR OWN GEAR. It’s best to learn on your own gear if you have it. But please don’t buy gear just for our class. Try our gear first!
“I had a bit of time in Seattle and signed up for this class having never done a class before. I was able to set my own time with Rob, the owner. In short, Rob is an excellent teacher. He was extraordinarily thorough and responsible about going over all the basics about skills and safety before we ever got out on the water.”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”