Kayaking Rescue Class
Covid-19 Update: SBP is open to individual and small groups to 4 people. We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, required mask use on shore. All gear is always cleaned.
Kayaking Rescue Class
This kayaking rescue class will give you more confidence with your paddling knowing you can go further off shore, travel further and explore new places. This is also a great class if you need a refresher.
Our patient ACA certified kayak coaches will show you how to safely wet-exit and get back in your own boat using a variety of methods such as the Cowboy and Paddle Float Rescue. We will also show you how to help another paddler who can’t get in their boat using the T-Rescue and other easy to learn methods.
If time permits, we’ll give you tips for customizing your cockpit for a better fit and how to use braces which both help with being more stable on the water. We can provide toasty cold water clothing to make sure you’ll stay warm during the session.
Core Skills You’ll Get:
- How to outfit your boat to make it easier to work with for rescues
- We’ll discuss wet exits to make sure you’re exiting safely
- Learn how to re-mount your boat using the paddle float and cowboy rescue
- Find out how to rescue another kayaker using the T-Rescue, heel hook method and others.
- If you have a roll, we’ll look at the re-entry and roll method
- Learn how to rescue other water craft like SUPs and kite surfers.
- Find out how to get back on a sit on top kayak or surf ski.
- What do you want to learn?
Learn the Combat Roll with our 4 session course
- Receive a follow-up document summarizing what we covered and other kayak rescue resources
- We’ll shoot video or stills of your experience.
Schedule: 3rd Saturday each month at 10am. Or custom class on your schedule. Get in touch to book.
Duration: 3 Hours.
Class Size: 1 – 4 People
Location: Shilshole Bay, Seattle (or custom location)
1 Person Lesson (1-1): 273
2 Person Rate: 159 per person
Group Class (3-4 Students): 133 per person
+ Add Rental Gear:
- Stable Sea kayak, paddle, pump, paddle float, spray skirt, PFD (life vest) – $20 per person
- Full 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties, hood or hooded vest, gloves – $15 per person
SBP Alumni: $10 off per person.
Skill Prerequisites: Beginner to Advanced
You should know how to swim (the basics), have basic kayaking skills.
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!