Kayak Surfing Class
SUP Surf Classes during Covid-19 – We Have Clean Gear – All my rental gear is cleaned after each use. Proper social distancing will occur on land and water.
Learn kayak surfing with essential skills to become a confident and safe surfer in the Pacific Northwest. You’ll learn on small easy waves at one of two scenic coastal locations. You will catch waves your first day!
At the end of this class you’ll be able to choose gear, paddle out, surf waves, turn, fall safely and be a kayak ambassador in the surf zone.
Kayak Surfing is available all year. Take as a group or private class.
Looking for an Intermediate Class?
Check out Kayak Level 1 or 2 to boost your skills to the next level.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to catch waves, timing, the line up and choosing the best waves
- Find out how to vary your paddling cadence for catching more waves
- Learn how to adjust trim for better control on waves
- Paddling back out through incoming waves successfully
- How to turn around easily without capsizing.
- Stability skills in the surf zone so you stay up longer to catch more waves
- Capsizing and wet-exiting safely in the surf zone
- Skills for turning in waves so you go where you want
- Wave and weather forecasting and tips for PNW breaks
- Where to surf in the PNW for your skill level
- Surfer’s etiquette and water safety
- Choosing the best gear and clothing for your budget and skill level
- Catching waves with minimum strokes to save energy and your shoulders!
- How to enjoy SUP surfing all year in the PNW.
Duration: 2 Days
Lesson Size: 1 – 4 people. Classes are kept small so you get more attention and for safety in the surf zone.
Location: Crescent Beach on the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
Prerequisites: Must have taken Kayak Level 1 or 2 or equivalent
Group Class (3 people): 170 per person with rentals / 149 per person with your own gear.
PRIVATE CLASS RATES:
2 Person Rate: 199 per person with rentals / 173 per person with your own gear.
1-1: 299 with rentals / 275 with your gear.
Rentals Include: Stable board, paddle, leash, 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties. gloves, hood, optional helmet.
Alumni Discount: $10 off per person
Skill Prerequisites: Advanced Beginner
You must know how to swim, be in good physical shape and be able to handle paddling in bumps and small waves.
You should have directional control and be comfortable with wet-exiting and/or rolling.
Get the basic skills with my Kayak Basics classes.
“Rob’s knowledge of surfing, safety, and his overall SUP skills helped me advance through coaching and immediate feedback boosting my confidence and ability level. I’m hooked on SUPing! I would have locked in poor habits and likely injured my back or shoulders had I not taken a lesson in my first season of regularly paddling. Rob has years of experience and gladly passes on what he has learned for the safety and fun of all SUP enthusiasts who meet him.”
Excellent experience! Rob is not only extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of SUP, but also many other factors that will enhance your experience. Among these, safety on the water, PNW places to explore, history and culture of the sport, a laundry list of tips on how to enjoy the SUP lifestyle year round and a solid under standing of the natural elements (tides, swells, wind patterns, geological and hydrological features, etc). He truly has a passion for the sport and demonstrates patience and expertise in his teaching. I recently took a SUP surfing class with him and in just 3 hours picked up a TON of things I can practice both in the surf and open water. I also had a lot of fun in during the lesson. Time spent with him will result in greater proficiency, more fun and a safe time on the water. Can’t recommend highly enough!
“I took the SUP Surfing class which not only got me surfing (which is the most fun ever!), but it gave me a new set of skills that keeps developing every time I get back in the water.”