Kayak Surfing Class
*COVID NOTE: Kayak Surfing in Covid-19 – Proper social distancing will occur on land and water. All my rental gear is cleaned after each use.
Kayak surfing will give you essential skills for becoming a confident and safe surfer in the Pacific Northwest. You’ll learn on small easy waves at one of two scenic coastal locations.
This kayak surfing class includes 2 three hour sessions at beautiful Crescent Beach on the Olympic Peninsula. There’s several lodging options nearby.
Open to both surf kayaks and sea kayaks!
Two days will give you as much on-water time as possible to learn new skills and become familiar with the surf zone. Your instructors are ACA certified and known for their patience and strong focus on safety.
At the end of this class you’ll be able to read surf forecasts, choose gear, paddle out, surf, turn and be a kayak ambassador in the surf zone.
Kayak Surfing is available all year. Take as a group or private class.
Check out Kayak Level 1 or 2 to build your skills for kayak surfing.
Core Skills You’ll Gain – New to Surfing..
- How to catch waves, timing, the line up and choosing the best waves
- Learn how to adjust trim for better control on waves
- Paddling back out through incoming waves successfully
- How to turn around without capsizing.
- Stability skills in the surf zone so you stay up longer to catch more waves
- Capsizing and wet-exiting safely in the surf zone
- Skills for turning in waves so you go where you want
- Wave and weather forecasting and tips for PNW breaks
- Where to surf in the PNW for your skill level
- Surfer’s etiquette and water safety
- Choosing the best gear and clothing for your budget and skill level
- How to enjoy SUP surfing all year in the PNW.
Core Skills You’ll Gain – Intermediate
- Find out how to vary your paddling cadence for catching more waves
- Catching waves with minimum strokes to save energy and your shoulders!
- Combat rolling in the surf zone so you spend less time in the water
- Learn how to surf down the wave face so you get a longer ride
- How to ride more complex waves and breaks
- What do you want to work on?
Duration: 2 Days
Lesson Size: 1 – 4 people. Classes are kept small so you get more attention and for safety in the surf zone.
Location: Crescent Beach on the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
Prerequisites: Must have taken Kayak Level 1 or 2 or equivalent
Rentals Available – Sit on top surf kayaks, sea kayaks (if u have self rescue skills) as well as wetsuits etc..
Group Class (3 – 4 people): 377 per person
2 Person Rate: 449 per person
Gear Rentals Available:
- $20 per person – Stable sit on top surf kayak, paddle, optional PFD (life vest)
- $15 per person – full 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuit, booties, hood, gloves, helmet.
Alumni Discount: $10 off per person
Skill Prerequisites: Advanced Beginner or Intermediate
You must know how to swim, be in good physical shape and be able to handle paddling in bumps and small waves.
You should have good directional control and be comfortable with wet-exiting and/or rolling.
Get the basic skills with my Kayak Basics classes.
“Rob’s knowledge of surfing, safety, and his overall SUP skills helped me advance through coaching and immediate feedback boosting my confidence and ability level. I’m hooked on SUPing! I would have locked in poor habits and likely injured my back or shoulders had I not taken a lesson in my first season of regularly paddling. Rob has years of experience and gladly passes on what he has learned for the safety and fun of all SUP enthusiasts who meet him.”
Excellent experience! Rob is not only extremely knowledgeable about the technical aspects of SUP, but also many other factors that will enhance your experience. Among these, safety on the water, PNW places to explore, history and culture of the sport, a laundry list of tips on how to enjoy the SUP lifestyle year round and a solid under standing of the natural elements (tides, swells, wind patterns, geological and hydrological features, etc). He truly has a passion for the sport and demonstrates patience and expertise in his teaching. I recently took a SUP surfing class with him and in just 3 hours picked up a TON of things I can practice both in the surf and open water. I also had a lot of fun in during the lesson. Time spent with him will result in greater proficiency, more fun and a safe time on the water. Can’t recommend highly enough!
“I took the SUP Surfing class which not only got me surfing (which is the most fun ever!), but it gave me a new set of skills that keeps developing every time I get back in the water.”