Paddle, Surf and Discovery Camp
Adult SUP and Discovery Camp
Learn to Paddle Board, explore local waterways, maritime history and beach ecology
Join Salmon Bay Paddle for this epic Paddle Board and Discovery Camp and experience how stewardship, science and community intersect with this fun on-water activity.
But it’s not just about getting your feet wet. Come learn to how to ensure are waterways are safe and healthy for generations to come.
Salmon Bay Paddle is very focused on safety. We require students to wear a vest life jacket and use a leash. We provide 4/3mm full wetsuits and related paddling clothing and gear from brands like Blackfish Paddles, NRS, MTI and others. All our gear will be cleaned after each session. Instructors are vaccinated and we’ll use masks on shore.
Women’s Paddle/Surf Camps – We can set up a private camp for you and your friends anytime adding locations like Deception Pass or coastal surfing.
Core Camp Skills
- Stand up with confidence on a stable board for your height and weight.
- You’ll learn easy turns as well as how to go sideways and backwards
- Find out how to get a powerful yet simple forward stroke requiring minimal effort
- I’ll teach you how to paddle straight to save energy and go faster
- Get bomber stability skills to stay standing in rough water and boat wakes
- Falling is normal. Learning how to fall and get back on could save your life
- You’ll learn how to install a fin and leash so you can set up your own board
- Learn to read water so you get there easier with less effort
- SUP isn’t all about standing. Learn to sit, kneel and paddle prone (on chest), essential for upwind.
- Find out how to use efficient strokes using finesse to prevent shoulder injuries
- Learn how to paddle over boat wakes and in wind so you have more fun
- We’ll discuss paddling equipment and clothing options for all seasons
- Learn the flip rescue to help another paddler get back on their board
- Friday: 10am – 2pm: Intro to paddle boarding and water safety. Lunch. Marine weather and boating right of way.
- Saturday: 10am – 2pm: Gene Tagaban, native storyteller on the beach. Walk to Locks, sack lunch. Locks history tour with a local historian.
- Sunday: 10am – 2pm: Paddle Shilshole Bay. Lunch, then beach stewardship and beach clean-up.
- SBP Follow-up – We’ll send you a summary of skills students learned as well as our favorite marine weather and tides apps.
- Get access to my 24 video SUP 101 Online Course to review skills learned in class. Get paddle trip check-lists and planning tips. (Value: $199)
- Get free access to my SUP Rescues and Water Safety online course. Learn the Flip Rescue, towing, getting on your board and more. (Value: $197)
- SBP owner Rob Casey is always available to help you find paddling gear, find places to paddle and help you get to your next level.
- Get a 20% discount from Mountaineers Books for any title or my books: ‘Kayaking Puget Sound‘ and ‘Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers.’
- Receive a Salmon Bay Paddle sticker!
CAMP INFO / DATES
Next Camp: Late September 2021 / October / November
Location: Shilshole Bay in Ballard (8 spots left)
Duration: 10am to 2pm
Instructor to Student Ratio: 2:8
Requirements: Must speak and understand English, and Know how to Swim. We recommend Orca Swim School for learning.
Ok to Bring Your Own Gear or rent ours
$649 per person
+ Daily Rental equipment available:
$15 each per day stable board, leash, paddle and life jacket.
$15 each per day wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood.
Bringing your own gear? We recommend stable hard or inflatable paddle boards, kids paddle, leash, toasty wetsuit if needed (4/3mm), booties, gloves, hoods and vest life jacket which will be worn.
“I had a bit of time in Seattle and signed up for this class having never done a class before. I was able to set my own time with Rob, the owner. In short, Rob is an excellent teacher. He was extraordinarily thorough and responsible about going over all the basics about skills and safety before we ever got out on the water.”
I conquered several fears paddling in currents and surfing waves and owe it to Rob, where safety and professional instructions are Salmon Bay Paddle’s top priorities!
I’ve been paddling on flat water for about a year and thought I was pretty good. Then Rob patiently explained how to make my paddling more efficient, how to deal with swells and choppy water and how to be more comfortable and safe on the board. In one hour, I became a much better paddler. If SUP is new to you or if you’ve been at it for a while, Rob will help you have more fun on a paddle board.
“I wanted to pull two visiting teenage girls out of their comfort zone of shopping, make-up and Netflix. Having personally taken lessons with Rob a couple years ago, I contacted him to see if we could arrange something. Instructor Joe McColskey, a former high school teacher and personal trainer was up to the challenge. The girls really enjoyed their SUP Basics session.”
“Rob is a fantastic stand up paddle board instructor. His knowledge of the sport and the local waters is remarkable. I’ve been out for a couple of lessons with him now and I’ve learned a lot and become a better paddler each time. I especially appreciate his commitment to safety and doing things the right way. He’s also just a good dude and I highly recommend him to anyone interested in SUP.”