Deception Pass Challenge Clinics
If you want to succeed at the upcoming Spring DP Challenge Race, being comfortable paddling in Deception Pass is essential. We see a few paddlers who only paddle the race and don’t spend time in the Pass – and it shows. Take these Deception Pass Challenge clinics to find out how to race smart vs hard in the Pass.
I learned to sea kayak in the Pass 20 years ago and have been teaching SUP tidal rapids classes for a decade. Like any river, it’s not about brute strength or even the fastest craft. But the more you know about reading water, paddling in dynamic conditions and knowing the area, the more likely you’ll place higher and have more fun.
Clinic dates were chosen to match the tidal currents for both the Spring 12/26 and winter 12/5 races. It takes most paddlers 45min to an hour to reach the bridge. We’ll launch a little more than an hour before slack to give us time to train while paddling to the bridge.
Private and custom designed clinics are available to meet you specific interests and/or skill level. Check Details for rate info.
Take my Deception Pass Tidal Rapids class to get more familiar with paddling in the Pass and more water time prior to the race.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- Learn how to read the water in the Pass so you can make smart route decisions.
- Learn the smartest route using eddies, current and wind breaks
- Find out how to paddle over eddy lines, boils, whirlpools and other funky water
- Get training tips for paddling in tidal current so you’ll be prepared on race day
- Learn how to take advantage of current, boat wakes and progressive waves to get there easier
- Get tips on outfitting your watercraft for carrying gear
- Find out how to be seen better by other racers, boats, our safety staff
- Learn how to use a handheld VHF radio, an essential safety tool in the Pass
- Find out about other cross training options which will benefit your performance in tidal rapids
- Learn about race nutrition, hydration and recovery so you don’t bonk
Photos of the December 2019 DP Challenge Race by Jasmine Speaks
Skill Prerequisites: Intermediate to Advanced
You should have basic swimming skills, be comfortable paddling in rough water and know how to self-rescue quickly. Take my SUP Basics 1 & 2 classes and Deception Pass Tidal Rapids Training to gain essential skills for the race. I can also train kayakers, prone and oc’s.