Learn how and where to downwind in the Pacific Northwest. You’ll learn how to forecast wind, how to catch waves easily, read bumps and how to stay off the evening news by using risk management skills so you have more fun.
Our Equipment: Included in class cost, we provide pro quality downwind boards such as the Imagine Connector, Splinter SUP 16′ and two locally made Echo Composites custom designed unlimited boards, a 17′ and a 18′. We use Accent and Werner paddles, coiled leashes, MTI vest style life jackets, can provide high vis clothing and toasty 4/3mm and 5/4mm wetsuits. For really big conditions we can provide Gath surf helmets and VHF radios.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
(Classes will be customized to your needs)
- Wind forecasting tools and techniques so you get more downwind days
- Stroke analysis for your forward stroke so you get more glides
- Directional control such as nose rudders, the dufek, and tail rudder
- Footwork to adjust trim which means longer glides, less work
- Rescues & Safety – Learn how to rescue yourself and others in high wind
- Downwind Gear – boards, double leashing, visibility, clothing and communication.
- How to choose where to go, planning put-ins and take-out, shuttles and backup plans
- Get solid skills for rough water and high wind so you can have more fun
- Going to Maui to downwind Maliko? I can help provide basic starter info for this run.
Skill Prerequisites: Level 2 Advanced Beginner
You are relaxed standing on a board, know how to paddle straight, have directional control, and can fall off and get back on your board. Some experience paddling with boat wakes or wind waves. Contact us for a SUP Basics 1 or 2 class if you don’t think you have these skills or would like to improve your basic skills.