Tidal Rapids SUP Class in Deception Pass
Learn the basics of river paddling in this SUP Class in Deception Pass State Park. Saltwater tidal currents which will prepare you for open water exploring on Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands and the Inside Passage. You’ll learn river SUP paddling techniques, rough water skills and coastal paddling methods in an amazing place.
This class is ideal cross training for down winding, surfing, racing, learning rough water skills and building overall confidence for everyday paddling. At the end of class you’ll much more confidence and new skills which will take your paddling to the next level. This is a super fun class for intermediate level and above paddlers!
To some, Deception Pass looks scary and untouchable. Rob and his professional guides will share with you how to read the water, understand the currents and know when to be in the Pass for the best paddling. Most classes will start at slack, the calm water period between the ebb and flood tides. Soon thereafter the currents will slowly increase as your skills also progress in that environment.
You’ll paddle with harbor seals, see bald eagles, possible orca sightings and enjoy majestic views of the San Juan Islands, Olympic Peninsula and on a clear day, Victoria BC.
Watch this class on King 5 TV’s Evening Magazine, 5/2016.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
- How to forecast marine weather, tides, and currents so you can plan your own trips to the Pass
- Learn to paddle with control and confidence in swift current and rough water
- You’ll learn how to read water so you can make smart route decisions in current
- Learn River SUP skills – peeling in/out of current, ferrying across current and rescues in current
- We’ll help you choose the best best gear for river paddling so you stay warm and comfortable
- Rescue skills in dynamic water will give you confidence for paddling off shore and in remote areas
- If conditions are right, we’ll surf standing waves in the Pass!
- Paddling the Pass will help you have the skills to plan trips on Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands
Skill Prerequisites: Intermediate
Required completion of our SUP Basics 1 and/or 2 classes. These basic classes can be taken at Deception Pass in calm protected water before we enter the Pass or in Seattle prior to the class date.
If you’re unable to take these prerequisites classes and feel your skills are sufficient, I will ask that you take a short test paddle with me prior to the SUP Class in Deception Pass date to confirm that you have the skills needed to paddle in rough water similar to tidal rapids.
Skills required to take this class: You must know how to swim, can fall off and climb back on your board with no problem, you can paddle comfortably in boat and wind waves (not on knees), can paddle straight and have directional control of your board.