PSUPA Instructor Certification
I offer SUP Instructor Certification through the Professional Stand Up Paddle Association (PSUPA). This internationally recognized program is beneficial for both independent SUP instructors as well as recreational business owners who offer SUP instruction and rentals.
This course can also be helpful for non SUP instructors seeking an in-depth two day intermediate level course.
Who Can Benefit from Instructor Training and Certification?
- Retail shop staff
- Rental company staff
- Hotel and resort staff offering SUP
- Municipal Parks and Recreation staff
- Fitness professionals
- Those wanting to start a paddling business
- Anyone who aspires to improve the skills necessary to SUP with confidence in various flat water environments
PSUPA Flatwater Level 1 SUP Instructor Certification
This course covers the skills needed to teach both a 1 to 3 hour basic SUP class confidently and safely. The curriculum includes the PSUPA Water Safety Course and covers the basics of how to start a SUP business, but is also adaptable to clients specialized needs. Certification is awarded upon completing the course, passing all tests, and achieving a satisfactory evaluation.
What You’ll Learn
- SUP business (optional) – How to start a business, choosing the right SUP business model, marketing, customer service, community building
- Risk management, group management, making smart decisions, legal issues, waivers, communication, marine weather, basic navigation
- How to teach a 1.5 to 3hr basic class or tour
- Teaching concepts, learning personalities and how to work with each, student phobias, modeling,
- Learn about paddling equipment, equipment manufacturing, board and paddle design, hydrodynamics
- On-water teaching techniques such as standing methods, falling, getting back on, turns, forward stroke, balance techniques, paddling straight, stroke analysis.
- Rough water paddling in wind and boat wakes. (Deception Pass classes include tidal rapids training)
- Teaching kids, games, skill building drills, team building
- Rescues – flip, dip-pull, towing, board push, rough water rescues, flip rescue for CPR, prone paddling, sitting/kneeling, stirrup rescue
Certified Instructor Benefits
- Students receive our 107 page PSUPA Instructor’s Flat Water 1 manual (and business manual)
- Access to our Facebook member page to network and discuss industry questions with other instructors
- Access to our extensive online teaching resources and guides
- Pro-Deals from Astral, MTI, ProMotion, NorthWater, SurfCo, Mile22 Straps, Mountaineers Books, McNett, Seattle Sports, etc
- Online business listing with your logo and contact info
- Promotion of your business and/or paddling endeavors
- Access to PSUPA logos to promote your business.
Course Size: 8 person capacity; (Larger groups ok. Contact me to discuss.)
Course Duration: 2 days
Location: Seattle (Ballard) or Deception Pass State Park (1.5hrs north of Seattle). Custom locations ok for groups. Travel fees may apply.
Requirements to Attend
- Current PSUPA membership. $75yr – Sign up here.
- Be Advanced Intermediate to Advanced level. You must have a strong grasp of SUP paddling techniques and directional control. This is not a course for beginners. Not sure of your skill level? Call me to set up a skills assessment clinic prior to the course. I can provide training before the course.
- Have current hands-on (i.e., not Internet-based) First Aid/CPR certification – or – Wilderness First Aid (with CPR) or Lifeguard Training certification.
- Be in good physical shape and able to swim 100 yards and to lift and carry all equipment.
- Not sure of your skill level? Take my SUP 101 online course. All content in this course will be covered in Flat Water 1.
Rentals available at no additional cost. Rentals includes all gear listed below. If you’re local. $45 per per/day for all gear. I recommend bringing as much as your own gear as possible so you learn to use it for your instruction.
Paddling Gear Required for Flat Water 1:
- Stable surf style or displacement board
- PFD (ideally vest style)
- Tow system (I can supply these)
- Full surfing 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuits or drysuits required Fall-Spring or during cooler summer days
- Booties recommended for walking on rough beaches and for additional warmth.
- Gloves are a good option as well for staying warm during rescues or colder days.
Other SUP Certifications Available: Downwinding / Camp Skills / Surfing
*Successful completion of FW1 required prior to taking any of these courses. Each of these are available in custom scheduled classes for individuals or groups. Contact me for More Info Fee: Varies per certification and group.
Businesses Rob has Certified:
Blackfish SUP, ROW Adventures, Downwind Gladiators, the US Navy (NAS, Everett, Bangor), Gorge Performance, Let’s Go Tubing, Union Paddle & Row Center, Kayak Academy, WWU Outdoor Center, and Urban Surf, Hydrology H2o, Godfather Testing Center, SUP-fari Paddle Adventures, Given to Glide Paddle Sports, Clatsop Paddle, SUP Spokane, The Stand Up Paddling School (Singapore), Port Stevens Paddlesports (Australia), Harbor SUP (Oak Harbor); Sound Yoga & SUP (Anacortes), Wilde Adventures, Alaska Wilderness SUP, H2o SUP Yoga (Portland), Fat Cat Paddle Boarding (Vashon Island), Maliko Shuttle, More Water Time (Maui), Board Locals (CA), Good Story Paddle & Surf, Good Paddle, Anchor SUP (Michigan), Underfoot SUP (Mexico), Club Sake (Seattle).