PSUPA Instructor Certification
PSUPA Flat Water Level 1 SUP Instructor Certification
I offer the Flat Water 1 PSUPA Instructor Certification for the Seattle area. This internationally recognized program is beneficial for independent SUP instructors, recreational business owners who offer SUP as well as individuals seeking comprehensive SUP instruction.
This comprehensive course covers the skills needed to teach both a 1 and 3 hour basic SUP class confidently and safely. The curriculum includes how to start a SUP business and is also adaptable to each student’s specialized interests. Certification is awarded upon completing the course, passing all tests and achieving a satisfactory evaluation.
About Rob Casey – Rob has been paddling SUP since 2006 and kayaking for a few years prior in all conditions. In 2010 he started Seattle based Salmon Bay Paddle providing small group SUP and kayaking lessons and tours. In 2011, he wrote the first SUP instructional guide Stand Up Paddling Flat Water to Surf and Rivers and later authored Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juan Island, 60 Trips.
In 2013, he founded the Professional Stand Up Paddle Association building it to an international organization to promote water safety and instructor training. In 2018, Julie and Curt Devoir took over the reins of PSUPA allowing Rob to focus on his Seattle paddling business. Rob has also developed online SUP courses. When not teaching, Rob enjoys freighter surfing in Seattle and exploring Washington’s shorelines. More about Rob
November 14 – 15 (Seattle / Ballard)
What You’ll Learn
- SUP business (optional) – How to start a business, choosing the right SUP business model, marketing, customer service, community building
- Covid-19 Era Business Tips – How to teach with social distancing and run a retail business in the new era.
- Risk management, group management, making smart decisions, legal issues, waivers, communication, marine weather, basic navigation
- How to teach a 1.5 to 3hr basic class or tour
- Teaching concepts, learning personalities and how to work with each, student phobias, modeling,
- Learn about paddling equipment, equipment manufacturing, board and paddle design, hydrodynamics
- On-water teaching techniques such as standing methods, falling, getting back on, turns, forward stroke, balance techniques, paddling straight, stroke analysis.
- Rough water paddling in wind, light current and boat wakes.
- Teaching kids, games, skill building drills, team building
- Rescues – flip, dip-pull, towing, board push, rough water rescues, flip rescue for CPR, prone paddling, sitting/kneeling, stirrup rescue
Certified Instructor Benefits
- Students receive the 90 page PSUPA Instructor’s Flat Water 1 manual (and business manual)
- Access to the PSUPA Facebook member page to network and discuss industry questions with other instructors
- Access to the PSUPA extensive online teaching resources and guides
- Pro-Deals from Astral, MTI, ProMotion, NorthWater, SurfCo, Mile22 Straps, Mountaineers Books, GearAid, Seattle Sports, etc
- Online business listing with your logo and contact info
- Promotion of your business and/or paddling endeavors
- Access to PSUPA logos to promote your business.
Who Can Benefit from Instructor Training and Certification?
- Retail shop staff
- Rental staff
- Hotel and resort staff offering SUP
- Municipal Parks and Recreation staff
- Fitness professionals
- Those wanting to start a paddling business
- Those seeking a comprehensive 2 day intermediate to advanced SUP course
Rates and Requirements to Attend:
- Current PSUPA membership. $75 annually – Get your membership here.
- Pay 699 course fee to Salmon Bay Paddle (Pay Here). Salmon Bay Paddle alumni discount available. (SBP Alumni rate: 599)
- Fill out the Student Info Form on the Sign-Up page.
- Have online First Aid/CPR certification – or – Wilderness First Aid (with CPR) or Lifeguard Training certification with CPR.
- Be Advanced Intermediate or Advanced level. You must have a strong grasp of SUP paddling techniques.
- Must know how to swim
- This is not a course for beginners. Not sure of your skill level? Call me to set up a skills assessment clinic prior to the course.
- Be in good physical shape and able to swim and to lift and carry all equipment.
- Not sure of your skill level? Take my SUP 101 online course or SUP Basics 1 and 2 classes.
Free Rentals Available
I recommend bringing as much of your own gear as possible so you learn how to use it for your classes. Your gear is probably better than mine! But if you’re flying in or don’t have a wetsuit I can provide all equipment at no cost.
Paddling Gear Required:
- Stable surf style or displacement hard or inflatable board
- Coiled leash
- PFD (ideally vest style – no C02 waist packs)
- Tow system (I can supply these)
- Full surfing 4/3mm or 5/4mm wetsuits or drysuits required Fall-Spring or during cooler summer days
- Booties recommended for walking on rough beaches and for additional warmth.
- Gloves are a good option as well for staying warm during rescues or colder days.
- Hooded wetsuit, hooded vest or separate neoprene hood / skull cap to stay warm on colder days.
Businesses Rob has Certified:
Blackfish SUP, ROW Adventures, Downwind Gladiators, the US Navy (NAS, Everett, Bangor), Gorge Performance, Let’s Go Tubing, Union Paddle & Row Center, Kayak Academy, WWU Outdoor Center, and Urban Surf, Hydrology H2o, Godfather Testing Center, SUP-fari Paddle Adventures and Given to Glide Paddle Sport, Clatsop Paddle, SUP Spokane, The Stand Up Paddling School (Singapore), Port Stevens Paddlesports (Australia), Harbor SUP (Oak Harbor); Sound Yoga & SUP (Anacortes), Wilde Adventures, Alaska Wilderness SUP, H2o SUP Yoga (Portland), Fat Cat Paddle Boarding (Vashon Island), Maliko Shuttle, More Water Time (Maui), Board Locals (CA), Good Story Paddle & Surf, Good Paddle, Anchor SUP (Michigan), Underfoot SUP (Mexico), Club Sake (Seattle).
“I appreciated the feasibility of a 2-day course, and believe we thoroughly covered all the basics while getting to enjoy a fantastic location. It was a rich and packed course. I look forward to gaining experience and diving into the PSUPA community resources as need arises.”
What an awesome class my husband and I had with Rob for our SUP certification. His course curriculum covered all that we need to feel confident to teach a class to our clients at Union Paddle and Row. Our time in the water was invaluable as we perfected our strokes in both calm and choppy water. The rescue portion of our class was presented in such a way we all left prepared and ready if need be. I would recommend this class to all. The entire day was incredible!
Love all the the tips from Salmon Bay for paddling, performance, pain/injury prevention and relief. Not only do I personally use these, I keep them in my arsenal of advise for our customers to help improve their performance.