Kayak Downwinding Class
Covid-19 Update: SBP is now open to individual and small groups to 4 people.
We’ll maintain a 6′ distance on shore and on-water, recommended mask use on shore. All gear is always cleaned.
Surf Ski Downwinding Class..
Learn downwinding on Shilshole Bay in Seattle. You’ll learn where to downwind in the Pacific Northwest. wind forecasts, catching waves with less effort, safety, reading water and how to stay off the evening news by making smart decisions.
Seattle area downwinding is very good all year with a lot of options for different wind directions.
This class is a prerequisite for downwinding in world class locations like Maliko and Hood River. Learn the basics here to be more comfortable elsewhere.
Core Skills You’ll Gain
(Classes can be customized to your needs)
- Wind forecasting tools and techniques so you get more downwind days
- How to read water so you know which bumps to surf
- How to connect waves for longer rides
- Stroke analysis for your forward stroke so you get more glides
- Rescues & Safety – Learn how to rescue yourself and others in high wind
- Downwind Gear – visibility, clothing and communication.
- How to choose where to go, planning put-ins and take-out, shuttles and backup plans
- Get solid skills for rough water and high wind so you can have more fun
- Going to Maui to downwind Maliko? I can help provide basic starter info for this run.
- Downwinding common sense keeps you off the news.
Skill Prerequisites: Intermediate to Advanced
You are comfortable paddling in small boat and wind waves, have good directional control, and can wet-exit and re-enter your ski.
You should be able to paddle 4 miles without any issues. Contact me if you don’t think you have these skills or would like to improve your basic skills.