Bremerton 2 Bridges Tidal Race - 2021
The Bremerton 2 Bridges Tidal Race takes advantage of the Port Washington Narrow’s fast tidal current.
The 5.50 mile course starts from Lions Park just after the beginning of the flood current. Paddle down the Narrows using eddies under two bridges to Sinclair Inlet to beat the flood!
Right turn around the Point Herron Light #12 just outside the Narrows and paddle up the west side of the Narrows to Anderson Cove. Left around the furthest out piling in front of the red roof beach house. Back down the Narrows (ideally on right side for eddy) to the white mooring buoy on the right just before the Warren Ave Bridge. Left around the buoy and return to Lions Park in front of the boat ramp (deepest section).
If you Do the Course Twice and Win – you’ll get $150 from KAVU to spend as you wish!
We’ll hold a drawing to win a $100 Gift Certificate for the paddle-up Boat Shed Restaurant in the Manette neighborhood. The Boat Shed is on the race course just before the first turn. We’ll gather there post race for a bite and a beer! We’ll also draw for a $100 Gift Code for Seattle Sports Company which has paddling and outdoor gear essentials.
Marius Linna will be doing a SUP Race Clinic at 11:00 at Lions Park (90 minutes) $47 per person. Contact me to save your spot.
10% of proceeds will be donated to the Kitsap Environmental Council
DATE July 25. 2pm START for the start of the flood current. Open to all human powered paddling and rowing craft who can self rescue and with experience some in current.
RATES: 1p $50 / 2p $60. *Rates Go Up: July 24th – 1p $60 / 2p $70
** Limited to 50 Racers per Kitsap Country’s Covid Phase guidance. Sign up now to save your spot!
Skills Tip: Learn to ‘eddy hop’ or paddle up current using eddies to get you back to Lions Park faster and easier. A straight line isn’t the smartest route. Check out my Tidal Rapids class in Deception Pass to get bomber skills in tidal currents.
Terms and Conditions
NOTE – Regardless of Circumstances:
- Refunds cannot be issued. You fee will be donated to the Kitsap Environmental Coalition
- Tickets can be transferred between participants only if our registration receives the data prior to race.
- Tickets cannot be deferred to next year
- $500 no-refundable protest filing fee
Blue arrows are tidal current.
Red are the course – staying out of the main channel to avoid boating traffic.
I recommend taking eddies (less or no current) along the shore from Lions Park all the way up to the Herron Point Light (piling)
Herron Point Light #12 (RIGHT TURN)
Anderson Cove Piling and Buoy Turns (Details Below)
Anderson Cove Left Turn around piling in front of house.
Mooring Buoy Left Turn then return to Lions Park boat ramp. Look for stairs coming down hill.
- Per State Guidelines we will have a Covid-19 sanitation and hand cleaning station at the start.
- Masks will be required to be worn in the parking lot and shore areas if not vaccinated.
- You will be assigned a start time for your heat. Aside from the first (slower craft heat), all heats will be set by type of water craft.
- Please follow our onsite guidelines to stay distanced on shore and when entering the water.
- Do not attend if you’re feeling sick and/or have a temp. No refund permitted if so.
Who Should Attend
- Open to all human powered paddling craft – Row, SUP, kayak, surf ski, outrigger, prone, peddle.
- Paddlers who are familiar paddling in tidal currents. Must know how to swim.
- Must be able to finish course in 3 ish hours.
- Life jackets required to be worn by all participants except prone and rowers. Leashes as well for SUPs. Recommend tethered reliable communication device and hi-vis colors.
- Seeking experienced Safety Boaters (power or paddle) to be stationed along the course. Must know how to use a VHF and can rescue in rough water.